Author Topic: New Owner of a 2013 Model 2 (plus a question about the insulation layers)  (Read 674 times)

milpool

Hey All

Mike from Maryland here. 

I picked up a used 2013 Model 2 last weekend for 87 bucks. The seller said it needed a new heating element which just came today.  Before I ordered the new heating element I tested to see if it worked. It kept tripping the GFI, so I plugged it into a non-GFI outlet, and I let it heat up a while to dry things out. The top of the smoker became much hotter than expected and the sides were pretty warm too. It turns out the insulation was wet, so I  took out the insulation from the top and back. I laid (laid lay?) the smoker on the ground to direct a fan towards the exposed parts of the side insulation for a day or so.

Here is my question: :) I haven't installed the heating element yet, but I failed to note where the back panel wires are supposed to go when its time to put the insulation layers back. Does the wire go between any of the layers, or is all the wiring is outside all three layers of insulation?  Any hints or tips for making the process of putting the insulation back easier?

Thanks!
Mike
Mike from Maryland

Smokin-it Model 2 (second-hand 2013 variant) SPST bypass mod
Auber AW-1520H
Weber Smoky Mountain 18" (dormant)
Weber Genesis Gold B (2005-ish)
Victoronix (Forscher) knives
Chef's Choice 130 sharpener

Lonzinomaker

On my #3, the wires run along the top of the insulation so you can see them as you take the back off.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
The photos here should help you.   Wiring goes between the insulation. It appears that the wiring goes in after one layer but after 2 may be better or after all 3.  Your decision.  Keep in mind that some of the wiring is new as the person modified his smoker.  I would read all the posts and look at all the photos. Good luck!
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1287.45
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 08:03:10 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

milpool

Lonzinomaker/old sarge

Thanks for the input (and pics)

And this time I'll wear gloves when handling the fiberglass... along with a long sleeve shirt, pants instead of shorts...and shoes and socks! 
Mike from Maryland

Auber AW-1520H

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Welcome from Delaware, Mike!    Can't wait to hear about your first smoke when you get everything back together.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Sorry!  I forgot my manners!!!!

Welcome Mike from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

milpool

Ok, installed the new heating element. It worked fine and didn't immediately trip the GFI...however the heating cycle never turned off when it reached the set temp. Just keep going and going until the GFI did trip.  I ordered a new temperature control per Steve's advice.

First cook was boneless chicken breasts because they were in the fridge.  Seasoned, left in fridge for a few hours and smoked. They turned out ok. Also noticed the control knob was way too loose, so I ordered a new one for better "accuracy".

The next time I tried a cut up chicken. The breasts were juicy and perfect, but the thighs and legs were taking forever, so I put them in the oven to get to the point where the fat and collagen melt (my preference).

Third time I defrosted a rack of ribs, and decided not foil at all during the cook. It turns out there was a VERY thick layer of loin meat which ended up too dry.

Subsequent rib cook used 2-2-1 method, and very happy with the results.

I decided I like using 13x9 pans with a rack insert. Makes everything easier (including cleanup!) and tastes good to me. I may do the Auber/bypass to help with chicken cooks, and perhaps serve as an extra "oven" for Thanksgiving.

I gotta say everything is so much EASIER than dealing with my WSM, and I can use the Smoking-It right outside of the kitchen on our covered patio...rain or shine!

There are so many helpful hints and tips in this forum, so thanks to all!

Mike
Mike from Maryland

Auber AW-1520H

old sarge

• Global Moderator
I'm guessing all is well with the smoker.  Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus