Author Topic: Wifi not connecting with new 4d.  (Read 1193 times)

GentlemanJerk

Wifi not connecting with new 4d.
« on: October 18, 2021, 09:37:31 AM »
Basically the title.  I got my new 4D wifi smoker and am not able to get the thing to connect to my home network.  I have a 3D wifi sitting right next to it that can connect and works perfectly, so I know it is in range of my router.

I downloaded the "red box app" and tried all the connection steps.  I thought that it might be due to my router (ASUS A8) being dual band so I set up a 2.4GHz network just for the smokers and it still wouldn't connect.  it would go through the entire setup of connecting to my wifi, then to the smoker and the LED would just never go solid on.  The blue led would stay flashing quickly and in the dark I could see another LED inside the housing flashing at about the same rate as the blue LED.  The unit is able to control temps well and setting temps through the controller on the unit was successful.  I was trying to connect to it through my iphone with IOS 14.8.  Anyone have any tips? 

Thanks for the help!

Clarification:  the 3D is a gen 1 wifi and the 4D is the gen 2 wifi.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:54:08 AM by GentlemanJerk »

Major

• Lucky To Be Alive/Blessed
Re: Wifi not connecting with new 4d.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 10:26:07 AM »
Having same issue with my 2D Gen 2, look forward to responses.
Smoker Model #2D-Digital WiFi GEN 2/10-09-21
Masterbuilt 44" Propane Smoker
Gas Grill
Retired Air Force NCO 74-94
If I Don't Remember, It Didn't Happen!

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 11:53:47 PM »
If you have multiple SSIDs and frequencies, make sure you (temporarily) put your phone on the same SSID and frequency as your smoker.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

GentlemanJerk

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 08:58:07 AM »
I did.  It does mention in the directions that the device needs to be on the same network as the smoker.  The only thing I didn't try was disabling the dual band network and only having the 2.4GHz network up.  But at this point I'm not sure that would make a difference. 

Side note: My 3D is on the dual band network and works fine.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 12:39:04 AM »
Turning off the dual band is worth a try.  You might also want to power cycle your phone right before trying again.  If you have both bands going then your phone may be connection to the other band instead of the 2.4 which is required.

You might also reset the wireless connection on the controller.  (https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/SIWIFIManual.pdf)

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

GentlemanJerk

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 08:23:25 AM »
Turning off the dual band is worth a try.  You might also want to power cycle your phone right before trying again.  If you have both bands going then your phone may be connection to the other band instead of the 2.4 which is required.

You might also reset the wireless connection on the controller.  (https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/SIWIFIManual.pdf)

I have reset everything from my modem, router and phone with no luck.  I haven't tried resetting the controller though, have to give that a shot.  I'll try turning off the dual band as well.  I'll hopefully be able to test these things tonight.

Thanks for the tips Larry!

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 11:45:51 AM »
The sequence you reset can matter too.
1. turn off all systems/routers/smoker.  Tell your phone to forget the wifi network then turn it off too.
2. restart in this order:
           network/cable router wait for it to finish booting
           wifi modem, let it finish booting
           phone, reconnect to wifi after phone has finished staring up
          smoker controller, you should be able to log in now.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA