Author Topic: Which Size Wood Chunks  (Read 2729 times)

BoatworksToday

Which Size Wood Chunks
« on: May 03, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »
Hey All!
Just ordered my 3DWifi and am looking to order some wood from this place:
https://fruitawoodchunks.com/shop?olsPage=products

Couple of quick questions:
- Anyone have any experience with this company?
- Which size chunks to order?  (They have 2x2, 3x3 and 6x3 options)
- Lastly which 2 woods would you personally get? Mostly going to be doing pork and beef :-)

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:15:12 PM by BoatworksToday »

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Which Size Wood Chunks
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 12:46:59 PM »
The 2x2 would be the most convenient for these smokers.  Regardless, you probably want to get a small, capable hatchet if you don't already have one.  With that in mind, the 3x3 chunks would also work, but you'd almost always need to chop them down.  I couldn't recommend the 6 x 3 unless you're going to be doing almost exclusively long smokes and you're still willing to split them down at least in half.  A heavy load of wood (like for a brisket) in these smokers is just 8 ounces which might only be two or three 2 x 2 chunks.

Only two woods?  Can I do three?  :)   I love both hickory and pecan and would want both, but I often also throw in some cherry.  I guess if I'm going to pick only two then it's going to be pecan and cherry as that gives lots of flavor and some options.  I will occasionally be sad though with no hickory.

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 10:38:13 PM »
Larry gave you good advice.  I would add to the hatchet an inexpensive digital scale for weighing wood.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:39:36 AM »
Good advice above. I have heard of the company but do t have experience with them.

Definitely cherry for one choice. Good for most all smokes. I usually use white oak for beef from Smokinlicious. Pecan would be good, I asked about that on my last order and was told it’s from same family as hickory? If my memory is correct? Or maybe it was sugar maple? I don’t remember. They didn’t have pecan specifically.

but over the few years, I now have white oak, red oak, hickory, cherry, and sugar maple.  I have some other chunks I use as well that are peach, apple and cherry along with a chip blend of sweet woods.

Enjoy that new smoker!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear