Author Topic: 3D Integrated PID Questions  (Read 4640 times)

Texan in Tulsa

3D Integrated PID Questions
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »
Smoking salmon and using a recommendation that I read in the forum of 220 degrees until internal temp of 135.

Still trying to learn how to correctly program the PID, so here's what I've got..

Controller is set as follows:

C1 = 220
E1 = F
F1 = 135

Is that correct? 

And what should display in RH window? All I see is -H- and no idea what that means. Also cabinet temp is reading 224 and still climbing. Thought it should stop at set temp of 220.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 3D Integrated PID Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:54:36 PM »
Andy, your programming is correct.  It's showing 'H' in the right window because it is not reading your meat probe.  Are you sure it's clean, and plugged all the way in?  Check that, then turn the power off and back on.  It's acting like the probe is unplugged.  Have you seen this before?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »
Btw - have you stored the smoker outside, in the rain, without a cover?  Without a plug in the probe port, or cover, you are susceptible to getting water in the probe port.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 08:03:16 PM »
When I first started the cabinet temp was 58 degrees and RH window was showing the same and that was with the probe in the meat and plugged in. As the temp was climbing the meat probe was climbing degree for degree until the mid 70s, then the meat probe slowed down some. Within 30 minutes the meat probe was reading 130 and was flashing AH. I thought no way that's possible that quickly, so I just changed the program for time and let it run for about an hour. I changed it back to temp to see if I could get a reading and it was now showing only H.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:08:06 PM »
Hmm...never heard of anything like this before.  Was the meat cold, right out of the fridge?  Did you check to see if the probe was still in the meat?  Reading box temp tells me it's not in the meat, and I've seen probes ruined by falling too close to the smoke box (they are a bulb/capillary design, and can go out if they get too hot). 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:03:41 PM »
Found that the weight of the cable pulled the end of the probe tip up to the point that it was barely in the meat. Too close to the surface and bad readings. Will try again on the next smoke and hope that it still works.

Ended up smoking for right at 2 hrs since i was unsure of the temp and just guessed. A little over cooked, but still really good.

The smoker is stored outside, but is kept covered and haven't had any rain since I received it.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:31:24 PM »
Thought that might be the case, Andy!  Salmon is so tender, it's hard to keep a probe in.  Hopefully, next time will work better, so long as the probe stays in the meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 09:50:50 PM »
170 usually takes right at an hour to reach 135 with none of the fat congealing on the surface.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:43:05 PM »
I'll still take the win in knowing that I had it programmed correctly!!  ;D
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 10:49:56 PM »
I'll still take the win in knowing that I had it programmed correctly!!  ;D

+1!  Gets easier, the more you do it.  Just remember the 3 components:  What box temp, what trigger (temp or time), and how long or how much? 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 10:58:24 PM »
That's what I was going for Tony. Just wasn't planning for a probe failure. Or probe placement failure on my part.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 07:56:14 PM »
We're in this together, Andy!  Let me know how I can help, any time!
Tony from NW Arkansas

JackT

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
Hey all. As I type, I'm at the tail-end of smoking 2 pork butts on my 3D. This is my first smoke using the meat temp probe. When I set up the program for 225 and an internal temp of 195 and even a 3rd program of 130 for 2 hours (just in case I wasn't there when 195 was hit). All set up fine, but no green light indicating my element was heating. Figured that the auber was a small computer, so unplugged it and plugged it back in. Without even going through the setup, the green light popped on and it's smoking perfectly. Since I've read that the Aubers occasionally have a few quirks, has anyone else had to "reset" them as I did? Thanks

Jack
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 04:20:12 PM »
I'm still learning. Turns out it is pretty simple if I do not overthink it (which I was doing). As for a reset, hopefully someone will be around with an answer.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 04:45:05 PM »
Hey all. As I type, I'm at the tail-end of smoking 2 pork butts on my 3D. This is my first smoke using the meat temp probe. When I set up the program for 225 and an internal temp of 195 and even a 3rd program of 130 for 2 hours (just in case I wasn't there when 195 was hit). All set up fine, but no green light indicating my element was heating. Figured that the auber was a small computer, so unplugged it and plugged it back in. Without even going through the setup, the green light popped on and it's smoking perfectly. Since I've read that the Aubers occasionally have a few quirks, has anyone else had to "reset" them as I did? Thanks

Jack

3 different standalone Aubers, and the 3D, I can count on one hand the times I've had to cycle power.  Unfortunately, you are right...these are basically a computer, and no computer is ever 100% "glitch-free!"  I have never had a power cycle not fix whatever the issue was.
Tony from NW Arkansas