Author Topic: "Three's Company" now that Big Daddy's in the house!  (Read 20744 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: "Three's Company" now that Big Daddy's in the house!
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »
That's a great setup, Rick had.  You'll be very happy, Bill!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2015, 02:20:16 PM »
I finally did it!  Big Daddy joined the family yesterday!  Today was filled with doing a bypass and wall-mount Auber probe, and getting a cart ready.  I went with the Harbor Freight 24"x36" $54 (on sale) cart, then added a pine 24"x36" wood panel to the top for strength.  I used red PlastiDip on the wood - should be sealed and weather-proof!  Bolted down the Big Daddy, and am now seasoning/autotuning.

I just got tired of listening to all you "happy" #3 owners, and had to join the fun!  I'm really looking forward to big, whole, packer briskets!  Funny thing - went to Sam's to get one, and they were completely out!  Had 3 flats, and NO packers!!  First time I've ever seen that!  Oh well, going to smoke 3 racks of baby backs tomorrow (uncut, for the first time)!

Pic 1 shows the bypass and permanent probe.  I just did a permanent bypass with a butt connector this time - no plans to reverse it.  Pic 2 is the probe cord routed out the power cord hole.  You have to pry the cord clamp out, put in the probe wire, and then reinsert it.  Pic 3 shows how I marked the hole locations for drilling (leg bolts).  Just draw an "X" between the corners, and you have your exact hole center.  (The bolt size, for the model 3, is M12-1.75).  Pic 4 & 5 are the completed setup.  Very happy with the rolling cart.  I definitely recommend a wood top, if you mount a #3.  It can hold it, alone, but it sags.  The 3'4" pine was just the key!
Hey Tony, I just picked up a 16 x 36 x 3/4 pine plank at Lowes and some plasti-dip (red). I will have to cut it to 16 x 27 to fit on my cart. Did you paint both sides? And I too am going to bolt mine thru the cart top shelf and into the smoker. I will just take one of the casters with me to get the correct size bolt and some washers. Thanks, Bill
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2015, 02:31:51 PM »
Bill, would a little extra lip be a bad thing?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2015, 04:38:25 PM »
Hey Dave, normally would not cut it but the top shelf of the cart has a 2 in high lip around the outside edge. So will have to cut it to fit inside the top shelf. It is the seville cart from Sam's club.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2015, 04:42:57 PM »
drop a couple of 2 X 4's in there and surface mount the top. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
Bill, I did coat all sides of the plank.  I wanted it weather-sealed.  I attached it with screws, from underneath, then drilled through the whole thing for the smoker legs.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »
Thanks, just got to get the correct size bolts, I purchased 7/16" but is too big or the threads are not correct. I tried to get ahold of Steve at 5:15pm central time but got his answering machine. I think they might be 3/8" will try Lowes later.
I too will do all sides as don't want the pine to come apart.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »
Bill, I think I've seen posted that the caster bolts are metric. 

elkins20

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »
I was wondering about that, thanks Dave.

DivotMaker

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
Thanks, just got to get the correct size bolts, I purchased 7/16" but is too big or the threads are not correct. I tried to get ahold of Steve at 5:15pm central time but got his answering machine. I think they might be 3/8" will try Lowes later.
I too will do all sides as don't want the pine to come apart.

Bill, the bolts for the #2 are M10 x 150.  I'm pretty sure these are the same for the #1; only the 3 and 4 are bigger.  Look in the metric stainless steel specialty bins at Lowe's.
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »
Thanks, also will take a caster with me. I stopped at a small midland true value to get my cookie cooler racks for the #3. Now will see how much more will need with the 3 that I made for the #1.

es1025

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2015, 09:24:17 AM »
Welcome to the number #3.

Nothing like smoking a multiple full rack of ribs.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

elkins20

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »
Thanks Ed, also is nice not to have to cut the rib racks to fit them in the smoker. Or cut a brisket into pieces. Also can get quite abit of jerky in them. One other thing it heats up a lot faster than the #1 that I have.