Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1659 times)

Big P

« on: September 19, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »
Hello all. I got my #2 just the other day. I have already experienced the belch I have read about on here. I have very limited smoking experience but hope to change that soon. Look forward to smoking up some salmon.
Paul   Depoe bay, Oregon

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:56:51 PM »
Hi Paul!  Put a little foil on the bottom of your wood (top open, like a little foil boat)...belch over.

Looking forward to hearing of your successes!  Let us know how we can help, and hopefully you've checked out the sections for new folks - basics for beginners.

Good to have you on board! ;D   
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 07:46:34 AM »
Welcome, Paul!   I use the foil "boat" method that Tony described for my wood and the belch has not occurred again.   With the foil, I get a nice light stream of smoke coming from my #2 rather than the darker, heavier smoke that occurs when the wood catches on fire.   Give the foil a try and I think you will be OK.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

MNGuy1959

• Every Day is a great day for smokin'
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »
Welcome, Paul! Yes, the foil boat that Tony mentioned truly does work.  I had a few smoker belches when I got my Model #2 and the foil certainly helps avoid that.  Good luck with your new smoker.   Looking forward to hearing some great stories. 
Gene from Minnesota
Proud owner of Model #2, Auber, and Jerky dryer

The worst smoking results are still better than being at the office!!