Author Topic: Ribs and Meatloaf - Rack Placement  (Read 2375 times)

Wik

Ribs and Meatloaf - Rack Placement
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:27:33 PM »
Hi all,

New to smoking anything outside of summer & breakfast sausage as well as electric smoking with #3, so maybe I'm over thinking this question.  But tomorrow I plan on smoking some Ribs for the misses and myself & for the kids some meatloaf at the same time.  My question it this, is there a big difference between different rack temps?  And any guidance on ribs on top or bottom due to this or other reasons?

I was thinking of putting ribs on top thinking I would be a bit hotter and thinking it would be better for rib juices to drip on meatloaf than the other way around.  Or maybe I put some tin foil between them.

Anyway if anyone has any feedback / suggestions / opinions I'm all ears.

Cheers,
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Ribs and Meatloaf - Rack Placement
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 05:04:23 AM »
My thoughts exactly, putting ribs up top and meatloaf below. Only thing might be the rub dripping down on the loaves but that might not be a big deal. I would place the loaves up high just under the ribs.

Hopefully someone agrees
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Wik

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »
Thanks Ben!  Was hoping to put them both in at startup, but looks like I'll have to wait a bit for the meatloaf to be prepped / defrosted some more this morning.  Granted I'll loose some moisture when I crack the door, but the Nut Brown ale in there should bring it back up quick enough.  Decided to "learn" via skipping Hickory which I used on 1st smoke last week with great success and see what Apple alone taste like.  I really had to fight back the urge to use a mixture of the two, but I would like to understand what each wood brings to the table.  Baby steps for me...  Definitely feel like a kid in a candy store after my first SI#3 smoke.  I don't know why I waited so long to pull the trigger on a quality smoker!

Cheers,
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
And a quality smoker indeed! I sometimes kick myself for not buying the #3 but overall I am super happy with my #2. Sounds like you have a great plan in motion. I too tend to rely on Hickory for quite a bit of my smokes but it just works so well. I am doing my butt right now with Cherry and it has such a great smell to it. First time using just Cherry alone.
Let us know how it all works out. Of course pictures don't hurt too!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2