Author Topic: Maiden Voyage- Tri-Tip  (Read 4421 times)

TheSneakyZebra

Maiden Voyage- Tri-Tip
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »
So here are some of my pics of my maiden voyage of tri-tip. It is not a good indicator of this thing as a smoker since I only cooked this to about 135 degrees and hit it with a light smoke. I used 2.3 ounces of cherry wood and used 1 broken up coal. I set it at 225 and it fluctuated throughout the whole smoke not really stabilizing too much. I did have a loaf pan filled with warm water. See my graph below for temp fluctuation, I am not too concerned with the swings yet.

It had a light smoke, my wife loved and kids loved it. This weekend I am looking forward to doing some real BBQ, hopefully some ribs :) Also, enjoy my NASA smoker pic  ;)
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

DiggingDogFarm

Re: Maiden Voyage- Tri-Tip
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:30:31 PM »
Lookin' good!  8)

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
Not bad at all, good first run.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:10:24 PM »
I love tri-tips!  Try it with oak some time, for that "Santa Maria" bbq taste!  A couple of quick recommendations - put your water pan on the bottom of the smoker, up against the smoke box.  It will heat better, and be a better heat-sink for those temp swings.  Also, when you "low and slow" beef to medium-rare or even medium, throw it in a 500+ degree oven for a few minutes after smoking for a "reverse sear."  It won't cook the internal meat any more, but quickly sears and caramelizes the rub on the outside.  Take it out of the smoker and wrap in foil to rest while the oven heats, then throw in for 5-8 minutes.  Wonderful results!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »
I love tri-tip and mostly have done on the grill with my over night brine. I will have to "tri" it with the smoker now.
Most likely would smoke it then throw it on the grill for a nice sear to crisp it up.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »
Absolutely, Ben!  The grill is great for the reverse-sear, weather-permitting!  Especially for something like tri-tips!  I need to do a batch of tri-tip steaks soon - this has me Jonesing for some good oak smoked tri's! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:30:53 PM »
I have seared mine once and prefer not to. I cut it on the bias thinly. I always receive rave reviews on them. In my opinion I do not feel the extra steps are that important, but we all have our own ways.

That was the only size loaf pan I had and it did not fit on either side of the burner so I had to put it on a rack.

I want to get the 3 pack of baby back ribs from Costco and do the 2-1-1 on 1 or 2 of them and leave the other one, but I fear that me having to open it for the 2-1-1 will mess up the other one that I just let go for 5 hours. Maybe I will just go buy a single rack. Cant wait!!
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »
No problem, Mikey - just a suggestion about the sear, in case you didn't know.  As far as the water pans; I use disposable aluminum "mini loaf" pans.  They fit perfectly beside the smoke box, and you can just dump the greasy juice out and throw them away with the foil!  Easy is good! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »
Get you a #1 to go with that #3 like DDF & it won't be a problem.  Tri tip looks great!  You won't go wrong with the no peek method but trythe 2 2 1 or whatever method when you get a chance & let us know which you prefer.  Doesn't have to be side by side.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 10:42:22 PM »
The sear for me on the tri's has always had a nice extra texture to the slices, which are always sliced nice and thin.
My family loves tri and unusually not many others here in AZ realize the greatness of that cut of meat. Whenever I can I buy up a bunch when they are on sale.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

Nozzleman

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 06:48:34 PM »
Man that looks good, I'll take a slice.  Good job.