Author Topic: New user to a model 3 looking for advice pork butt and brisket 1st time smoke!  (Read 6885 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
I use an equilibrium brine for brisket that includes instacure#1 & a side effect is the smoke ring.  I use Martin's formula (diggingdogfarm) to determine quantity. It can be found under the brine section in a post by DivotMaker about equilibrium brined.  I did one last weekend & the ring penetrated about 2/3 of the meat. However, I don't worry about the ring, only the taste.

Didn't know you added the Instacure to your brine, Walt!  Brings a little tear to my eye when I see someone paying attention! :'(   ...EQ brine and all!!  Yep, the curing salt will sure give a faux smoke ring - but you're right, you need to use the calculation so you don't over-do the salt!  You just made my night, Walt! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

I'm glad I could help, Tony.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
 ;D ;D   You're the man, Walt!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

GeeBee

Gee Bee is it a normal chunk charcoal or a regular briquettes?  One whole one?   Thanks!
I use one Kingsford charcoal briquette per smoke. Make sure you do not use the ones that have lighter fluid soaked into them. I would think chunk charcoal would be too much.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !