Author Topic: Our Hobby  (Read 895 times)

RG

Our Hobby
« on: May 03, 2021, 09:20:35 AM »
Hi guys, as the old timers here know, I no longer have a Smokin-It smoker but I still chime in here and there because I enjoy the hobby of BBQ and like to read others experiences and share my own, all for the betterment of the craft.

I have had a multitude of cookers over the years and I have whittled that list down to a handful of cookers that I currently own. I have had several kamados, pizza ovens, flat top griddles, pellet grills, one electric smoker (SI#3), offsets, gas grills, charcoal grills, etc....

I know the attraction of having an SI is set it and forget it. I've had that luxury with automatic temp controllers on my kamados (auber PID with fan), as well as pellet grills but the SI was certainly easy to use and produced consistently good results. With all of that said, I have become a dedicated cooker type of person. I use the KBQ for smoking large cuts of meat, the pellet grills for ribs and chicken, the Ooni and Uuni for pizzas, flat tops for smash burgers and griddle stuff. I sold all but one of my kamados and haven't used the remaining one in years, sad really lol. I haven't used the gasser in as long if not longer.

The smoker of choice, the aforementioned KBQ, gets most of the love. I don't cook nearly as much as I used to but I do have to smoke a brisket every once in a while to keep the missus happy. You couldn't get any further apart in the spectrum than the differences between the SI and KBQ. The KBQ has to be babysat to the tune of every 45 minutes to an hour. That requires time and dedication, it's a planned event for sure. I don't mind typically as it's just outside the basement door and I sit in there in a recliner and watch a movie or a show and cat nap in between adding wood.

I may end up ordering another SI at some point but not sure. If we end up moving, I am going to sell most of my cookers off and then who knows?

What other cookers do you all use in addition to your SI and what do you like about said cookers and what you primarily use them for?

I may get one of those charcoal fed gravity smokers but am on the fence, anyone here own one?

Lastly, look at this puppy. Last night's dinner. I have to show off once in a while, lol!

Here's a video showing just how tender this thing was. Not bad for $1.99/lb choice brisket. Proof you don't need Wagyu to make a killer brisket!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kNjvOoV5TDAl7rehQ1CPVNDiGr7SpzNG/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kPmGHKhJJ55_1PtLCaAyhCdDRIksBECb/view?usp=sharing
Jason from Conyers GA

Lonzinomaker

Re: Our Hobby
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 12:09:06 PM »
Besides my #1 and #3, I only have a Char Grill Infrared 2 burner grill at home. Snowbirding I have a Smokin Tex 1400 and a infrared portable Char Grill.  Camping I use a Coleman Roadtrip and my #1.
Haven't used the Green Mountain Davy Crockett since I got the #1 a year ago.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

RG

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 02:15:48 PM »
I have a 4 burner Camp Chef Flat Top that I never use and a Cuisinart round flat top that we take camping. My wife LOVES it. She makes all of our meals on it. I want to take my Ooni Koda with us as it's gas powered but she says that pizza isn't camping food, lol.
Jason from Conyers GA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 08:07:32 PM »
Another successful cook.  Good to see you drop in Jason!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

OldeSmoker

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 11:34:42 PM »
Your brisket looks great!
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 10:29:18 AM »
If that isn’t just the perfect slice of brisket!

For me, it’s the 3D, gasser and a Weber Kettle. I really enjoy using the Kettle grill, doesn’t need much attention once you dial it and provides some great flavors! Like to do steaks, spatchcocked chicken or chicken parts, chuckies, and ribs. Haven’t done any cooks over 5-6 hours with it, but at some point I’d like to try a brisket on it. It’s also what I use for paella! Love love love it!

There’s an accessory I’d like to add to it at some point, a Santa Maria style add on that allows you to cook at different heights.

Good to see you on the board Jason!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

RG

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 01:51:29 PM »
Glad y'all are happy to have me check in here and there! I don't post much here or anywhere these days as I don't cook nearly as much as I used to. Life has a way of changing our paths but sometimes I come back to where I once was, lol!
Jason from Conyers GA