Author Topic: New to electric  (Read 991 times)

mplslakes

New to electric
« on: April 27, 2021, 11:53:53 AM »
Good morning.  Just picked up a used model 2 last week.  Have been smoking for many years, first on my Weber gas with wood chips in foil, then was gifted a Big Green Egg for Christmas about 2.5 years ago.  Love my BGE, but it takes work to keep it on point.

Had a little Masterbuilt propane smoker that I was also gifted about five years ago that I've used a few times up at the lake (also have a Weber kettle up there).  That one has been awful, burns the bottom of everything no matter the temp or time, which means I almost never use it.  Decided to get an electric for up at the lake... love smoking but don't want to monitor it like I do at home.  Hoping my model 2 is big enough for family gatherings... will see!

kymonopoly

Re: New to electric
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 12:04:21 PM »
Welcome from Western New York.  I think you'll find the SI to be a wonderful addition.
Jonathan but go by J.
Model #2 as of Christmas 2019 thanks to Wife, Daughter, Parents, Sister and Brother-in-Law

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 12:11:42 PM »
Welcome to the group.
The #2 will hold 4 racks of ribs (you have to cut them in half), 2 smaller pork butts and 2 turkey breasts. 
I suggest you try it out a few times (and post pics of the smokes) before you take it to lake so you have a good idea of how it works.
One of the nice things about these smokers is you don't have to tend them at all. I don't wrap ribs, and only look at them when getting close to finish time.
If you don't have a small scale to weigh your wood, suggest you get one.  Start out with 3-4 oz of your favorite chunk wood and then scale up or down to your taste.  It is very easy to over smoke and get bitter smoke flavor in one of these.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

mplslakes

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 12:36:08 PM »
Thanks, yes, planning to give it a run at home this week.  I have a scale and lots of chunk, so should be all set there.  Have definitely gotten the message about not too much chunk, even the guy I bought it from gave that advice (we spent a good 20 minutes talking about his experience with the SI2).

lcdearman

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 12:45:02 PM »
Welcome from Central Texas. I have a #2 analog and love Lazy-Q. I smoke more often than I would otherwise. I have a chip screen in my wood box and I put a layer of foil under it. My wood always turns to charcoal during the smoke now, no more ash. After reading your intro, I am even happier that I went with my #2 instead of the Masterbuilt propane smoker I was considering.
Clay from Taylor, TX
SI #2 with Auber AW-ST1510H-W
Weber Spirit II
Orion Cooker

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 01:07:48 PM »
Welcome from Delaware!   You will love the #2 ... I know I do!  Let us know if you have questions, but I think you will find the land of Lazy Q quite relaxing!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mplslakes

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 05:02:34 PM »
Welcome from Central Texas. I have a #2 analog and love Lazy-Q. I smoke more often than I would otherwise. I have a chip screen in my wood box and I put a layer of foil under it. My wood always turns to charcoal during the smoke now, no more ash. After reading your intro, I am even happier that I went with my #2 instead of the Masterbuilt propane smoker I was considering.

When you use chips are you still using the same general amount given as guidance on chunk?  The guy I bought it from threw in his stash of various chips (he had the screen, too) but I wasn't sure since folks on here mainly use chunk...

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 08:24:04 PM »
Chunks are the slowest burning, so smoke longer for the same weight as chips.
I use the same amount (YMMV).
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 10:14:53 PM »
Welcome from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

OldeSmoker

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 10:48:45 PM »
Welcome from SW Missouri.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

Glock_21

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 11:21:10 AM »
Welcome to Lazy-Q from Oklahoma.

I think you have found what you are looking for as far as a "hands off" smoker.  These things are truly a "set it and forget it" method for most cooks.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt