Author Topic: Can I use the Bella cold smoker while also doing a regular smoke?  (Read 1230 times)

Duder

I just pulled the trigger on the Bella cold smoker and got it shipped with my order of the #2D today, yay.

I haven't done any smoking yet, but is it possible to use the cold smoker while doing a normal batch to increase the smoke concentration? Or would it be better to run the cold smoker for a few hours then run the normal process of hot smoking?

OldeSmoker

Re: Can I use the Bella cold smoker while also doing a regular smoke?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 07:33:07 PM »
Welcome from SW Missouri. I have the Bella on my 3DW and I also use it, albeit on less than half speed to get a deeper smoke penetration into large cuts of meat like Brisket and Pork Butt. I run the Bella along with my wood chunks in the smoke box. You don’t want to run the air pump at to high of speed or you risk making the meat taste bitter. Good luck and enjoy your new smoker.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

Glock_21

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 10:52:05 AM »
I sometimes run the Bella during a cook for pork shoulder or brisket.  Like Paul said, not full blast.  I will shut down the Bella once the meat hits ~150 internal temp.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

OldeSmoker

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 11:03:46 AM »
I sometimes run the Bella during a cook for pork shoulder or brisket.  Like Paul said, not full blast.  I will shut down the Bella once the meat hits ~150 internal temp.

That is I good idea Travis, shutting down the air pump on the Bella at 150 degrees. I am going to do that next time I cook brisket and pork butt.
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

Duder

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 11:28:15 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind. Definitely don't want bitter meat. Do you think that pork belly would benefit from extra smoke? It's not thick, but the slab is long.

OldeSmoker

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 06:19:07 PM »
I have not smoked pork belly but the length should not cause a lack of smoke penetration. The thickness or girth of the meat is the main cause of lack of smoke penetrating into the deeper part of the meat. I would smoke a pork belly without the Bella and see what you think. You can always add it next time if it needs it. Over smoking can ruin a nice cut of meat.
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi