Author Topic: Got a new toy..  (Read 3738 times)

va_rider

Got a new toy..
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:10:02 PM »
My #2 takes care of everything low and slow... But sometimes you need hotter and faster...  So... I got a new toy. Very happy so far.  Did a seasoning cook of a pile of bacon...  Now, it's loaded with teriyaki chicken and veggies for dinner!
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Got a new toy..
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:23:52 PM »
Congrats, Aaron!  My '97 Weber Genesis 1100 was only just recently replaced.  Take care of it, and it will last you a LONG time!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

va_rider

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:30:17 PM »
I love how easy it is to clean. The whole lower pan pulls out and you can just run it through the sink...  Amazing.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:32:01 PM »
Well-made, but Weber has sure gotten pricey!  You pay for quality.  Ease of use is a plus!  Does it have stainless, cast iron, or porcelin-coated cast iron grates?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »
Good choice, mine 2 years old still runs on same lighter batteries!

Hopefully you didnt get at box store:)

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »
Hopefully you didnt get at box store:)

?  Why not?  I bought my original '97 at Home Depot because that was the only place that offered it with the porcelin cast iron grates...no regrets!
Tony from NW Arkansas

va_rider

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:44:26 PM »
Porcelain coated cast iron here.... Bought it at Lowes. Free delivery, assembly, and 10% veteran's discount....  Tell me why I wouldn't buy it there?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 08:16:06 PM »
I got my 2006 Genesis at a local hardware store. Mine came with the thick stainless steel grates verses the porcelain. I'm not a fan of porcelain grates. I'd rather have cast iron verses porcelain. Ive just never had good luck with them holding up on my other grills (but maybe that is because they were cheaper grills).

My only dislike with my Genesis is that my control knobs are on top of the right shelf verses on the front side. What a dumb place to put the knobs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

va_rider

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »
Yeah,  glad that my knobs are on the front. 

I've always had good luck with porcelain grates, even on my cheapo Master Forge I had before this. I've seen people complain about them chipping or flaking, but I've never had an issue in the past.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 10:40:54 PM »
I've had Weber porcelain grates on my Genesis 1100 for 15 years.  NO problems, whatsoever.  They hold/distribute heat like any other cast iron grates, but are oh so easy to clean!  My current grill has un-coated cast iron, so I put them through my rigorous cast iron seasoning regimen, and they are great, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas

drains

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 11:51:59 PM »
Nice grill! What model is it? My 10 year old Char-Broil is still chugging along but Father's Day isn't to far off.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

va_rider

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 04:02:21 PM »
Nice grill! What model is it? My 10 year old Char-Broil is still chugging along but Father's Day isn't to far off.

It's the E310. I went for the "cheap" option. Didn't ever use the side burner on my old grill, and didn't need the sear function.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »
The ones at true value and smaller hardware stores vs lowes and HD have stainless flavor guards and the stainless steel grates.

Some of the ones at HD and lowes have that silly circular center removable gimmick grate.

Each his own I guess.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 04:38:13 PM »
PS, for the same price as Lowes and HD you get the stainless options.   The black non stainless flavor guards wear out pretty quick if you dont keep up.

PSS I went to 3 true values and no one had the $1500 new smoker egg thing that Weber is making.

TheLocNar

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »
I got my Genesis with side burner (that I actually use! Gasp) and sear station from ABT since they are local. Natural gas so they had to remove the old Broilmaster and install the Weber. With proper upkeep and frequent use, that grill will last you a long time. Going on 2 years for mine and it still gets over 600 degrees according to the (probably inaccurate) thermometer on the lid. Enjoy it!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:03:15 AM by TheLocNar »
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish