Author Topic: New Grates for Gas Grill  (Read 5036 times)

Carp210

New Grates for Gas Grill
« on: August 02, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »
Thinking of replacing my old Weber gasser (now 17 years old) with a new Weber Genesis Model S-330. My old grill is still solid but I have that new grill itch that I need to scratch.

Has anybody tried these Grillgrates?  http://www.grillgrate.com/
Everything I"ve read has been positive, similar to the feedback on the SI Smokers.  Only negative would be maybe the cost of $150 to replace the full grate area.
Let me know what you think.   

Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: New Grates for Gas Grill
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
Every time I buy a good gas grill the guts start to burn through before anything else.  Parts seem ridiculously priced when for an extra $100 I can have a whole new grill.  If your burners and deflectors are still like new, I'd consider grates but as an entire redo, I'd just get a new unit altogether. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RG

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »
I have grill grates that I use on my Kegs, didn't need it for a replacement but rather an enhancement. They act like an infrared grate, they make really nice grill marks. The spatula that comes with them are great for grilling fish too.

Makes great burgers as well.

I would buy them again for sure.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 04:06:25 PM »
RG,

Nice looking burgers and really nice onion rings!

Greg

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
Dang those burgers look good!

I just satisfied my itch with a Napoleon Prestige Pro 500. I'm really liking it. But not sure if the difference in cost between it and the Napoleon P500 was worth it but definitely grills very nice!

How much do those kegs cost?  They look nice too.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 04:43:01 PM »
"Cheap" kegs are at Lowes, check online.  Not sure if they are the "original" though.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

RG

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 06:26:55 PM »
For those that don't know, I am an Admin/Mod over at the Big Steel Keg/Broil King Keg forum. This is going to be a long explanation about kegs since it was brought up, so forgive me :)

The Broil King Keg is called either a 4000 (discontinued) or the new 5000 model. Before they were called Broil King Keg they were known as Big Steel Keg (playing on the fact that it sounds like Big Green Egg no doubt). Before THAT they were known as Bubba Keg. Big Steel Keg had another model called the BSK 2000, which was black and didn't come with any side shelves or a rolling cart or hitch adapter or a 2 tier grate. This, I guess, is what jcboxlot is referring to as the "cheap" keg even though I've never seen any for sale at any Lowe's in GA. Lowe's does have a similar, and yes, cheap steel kamado called a Chargriller Akorn which goes for about $300.00. It is in no way comparable to the Keg, nowhere near the build quality but I would say that it is worth the $300.00 price tag.

When I bought my first keg in 2011, it was a BSK 4000 that had all the bells and whistles. 2 tier cooking grate with cast iron primary grate, side shelves, rolling cart with hitch adapter, multi tool and cover. I paid $679.00 for all of that and got a free bag of lump. A Large BGE with the nest and shelves would have cost much more  and they didn't have a 2 tier grate standard either nor can they be hooked to a hitch and transported. So....I bought a keg and liked it so much I bought another. The 2nd one was a used 2000 that I bought for $340.00 from a kid who used it twice to cook steaks and then needed the money :P

I ended up taking that keg and taking the handles off of it and sticking it into the island and added a 2 tier grate. It cooks identical to the 4000 but isn't going camping like the 4000, it stays home now :)

The new 5000 retails at $899.00 and no longer includes a cover but comes with everything else, still cheaper than a comparably equipped BGE and is 2.5x more fuel efficient than ANY ceramic kamado so lump charcoal goes a LONG way and it will never crack due to high heat and will not ever have a cracked firebowl. Will it rust eventually? Sure will. You either pick cracks or rust. I chose the portability of it and would buy another in a blink. Love my kegs!!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 07:53:15 PM »
Correct, the Akorn, which I saw at Lowes earlier this year.  Sorry to call it a Keg.........might be worth it to some, but go feel it in person compared to other ones.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
Thanks Jason!  I would like to know more about those kegs.  Can you start a new thread and post pics, inside and out?  I like the idea of being able to attach it to your trailer hitch.  Does it smoke and grill?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
Thinking of replacing my old Weber gasser (now 17 years old) with a new Weber Genesis Model S-330. My old grill is still solid but I have that new grill itch that I need to scratch.

Has anybody tried these Grillgrates?  http://www.grillgrate.com/
Everything I"ve read has been positive, similar to the feedback on the SI Smokers.  Only negative would be maybe the cost of $150 to replace the full grate area.
Let me know what you think.   

I would love to have some of these, Dave!  My 18 year old Weber Genesis 1100 is in good shape, but the cost of the grillgrates has me hesitating.  I just can't bring myself to spend $150 on an 18 year old grill! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Carp210

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:55 PM »
My plan was not to put them on the old grill but buy them for the new grill and sell the stock grates before using them.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 09:41:39 PM »
Now that's a plan, Dave!  I have read a ton of great reviews of the grates, and would love to have them.  I love grilling every bit as much as using my SIs, and I really like what these bring to the table (so to speak ;) ).  If I get a new grill, grillgrates are definitely in the running for the first accessory!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »
I like the concept, seems like a pain the "arse" for clean up on a near daily grill use.   

Carp210

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »
RG,
Maybe you could shed some light on the grate cleaning part.  Your photo looks pretty clean, how do the grates look now?