Author Topic: Whats in the pan  (Read 1481 times)

iamimdoc

Whats in the pan
« on: September 23, 2020, 01:45:28 PM »
After cooking ribs and sausage and a pork butt in the last few weeks, I have a drip pan full of brown liquid.  Some oil floating in the liquid - not a ton.

No water pain in the cooker

Is this mainly water from the meat?
When fat renders, does it solidify again when it cools in the pan or does it create some of the liquid?

Thanks

Lonzinomaker

Re: Whats in the pan
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 10:10:29 PM »
You are lucky your drip pan hasn't run over.  I get 1/2 to 3/4 full pan when I do a butt in my #3.  I empty the pan after every smoke.
I usually let it cool overnight so the solidified grease can be disposed of in trash instead of down my septic tank.  The other stuff is just gelatin from the collagen in the meat and maybe some water.  As much as I would like to use that for gravies, I don't because it has left the cook chamber.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 02:26:10 PM »
You are lucky your drip pan hasn't run over.  I get 1/2 to 3/4 full pan when I do a butt in my #3. 

I did 4 butts in my 3DW recently... I dumped the pan before I went to bed as it was already getting pretty full and it was full to almost over-flowing by the time the smoke was done.  I've since bought a larger pan which should take care of that problem.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

iamimdoc

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 07:09:23 PM »
So it’s mainly water, not fat?

Also I found some heavy duty tin foil pans that fit inside metal pan perfectly at a restaurant supply house. They are too tall but can be shortened easily with a knife blade cutting horizontally at top of metal pan.  Easy to dispose of tin pan and fluids. Cleaning up metal pan that came with smoker now trivial

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 10:18:03 PM »
It depends on the meat.  I've had some that were mostly fat and some with very little fat and mostly gelatin with some water.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA