Author Topic: QVQ pastrami  (Read 2054 times)

barelfly

QVQ pastrami
« on: May 23, 2018, 12:05:03 AM »
I’ve been doing some reading on various sites and found a process for pastrami. It is a smoke-Sous Vide-smoke process to make really good pastrami.

At this point, I have done the homemade corned beef recipe I used in the past from amazing ribs. It was a 6 day cure and then a day sitting with the rub. Today I smoked it at 225* for about 2 hours to 135* then vac sealed and dropped it into the SV bath at 140* and will go about 72 hours. Then you chill for a few hours in ice bath and when ready to serve, you smoke it hot at 350* to get the bark to set and warm back up to 135*. The actual process I’m following calls for a 135* SV bath for 72 hours but I don’t think I’ll be able to go that long, so upped the temp a bit to account for that. But from what I’ve read, this has turned out some good pastrami.

Here’s a few pics of the beginning. Looking forward to this! Anyone else try a process similar to this?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: QVQ pastrami
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 12:28:01 AM »
Keep us posted Jeremy!  Sounds like an interesting process.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »
Here's a SV/smoked pastrami I did awhile back.  Don't mind the weird color of the finished meat...it wasn't really that magenta! (don't know what happened there...).Smoked and Sous Vide Pastrami
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 03:32:40 AM »
I haven't done one yet, but have several notes and have a corned beef in the freezer waiting to be turned into pastrami. Pretty similar to yours, except I wasn't going to do the second smoke. These are the notes I have after reviewing lots of information online:

Smoke to internal temp of 150. Then for the sous vide part, I have a few different choices:
140 for 72 hours or
143.6 for 72 hours or
149 for 48 hours
I will probably go with 143.6 for 72 hours.

Can't wait to hear how yours turns out.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »
Final product is in and it was awesome! The qvq pastrami process did not disappoint! I had to finish the last step of the “q” process on the gasser grill because of where I am for the weekend, but it was phenomenal! The meat didn’t fall apart when slicing like I’ve had before but it did pull apart, like you would see done on a commercial 😀 Mixed with a spicy mustard, Swiss  cheese and store bought kraut (only because I forgot to grab my last jar of my homemade kraut).

I know there are many ways to go at pastrami, but if you have a SV machine, definitely give this a try. I went with an initial SV of 140* for about 44 hours then I had to transport it for 2.5 hours. Back into the bath at 135* for another 22 hours, then schocked in ice bath for about 3 hours to bring temp all the way down and then back on the grill to set the bark and warm back to 135*.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:31:36 AM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear