Author Topic: New to Electric Smoker - First Question  (Read 2055 times)

ken h

New to Electric Smoker - First Question
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:30:43 PM »
Just received a 3.5 D digital wifi and I already have my first question.  This is my first electric smoker.  My previous experience has been with a Weber SMC.  I currently have the break in burn going with the 3.5D and it really got my attention how much smoke was being produced from just 2 cubes (3.6 oz) of the included wood as the smoker was coming up to temp.  When starting a smoke does the food go in first and then start the smoker?  Or start the smoker, get it up to temp and then put the food on after the smoke lightens up a bit?    Based on my experiences with the Weber Im concerned that the amount of smoke produced as the smoker is coming up to temp if the food is in the smoker from the beginning might be excessive and oversmoke the food and produce other undesired results due to too much smoke.   
Ken H

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: New to Electric Smoker - First Question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:51:00 PM »
Get wood, meat and anything else you want in the smoker all at the same time.  Then fire it it and enjoy! Oh, don't forget to foil the bottom of the smoker (poke a hole in the foil for drainage) and foil the roof of the wood box.  Makes cleanup easier.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
What Dave said and I would add or encourage you if you haven't already, go to the Smoking-it web site and at the bottom under instructions, download and read DM's "Lazy Q" E Book. Best read and help for electrics ever. You will eventually find the formula for how much wood for you preferred smoke profile. You are going to enjoy it for sure!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

ken h

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:57:56 PM »
Get wood, meat and anything else you want in the smoker all at the same time.  Then fire it it and enjoy! Oh, don't forget to foil the bottom of the smoker (poke a hole in the foil for drainage) and foil the roof of the wood box.  Makes cleanup easier.

Thanks Dave!

What Dave said and I would add or encourage you if you haven't already, go to the Smoking-it web site and at the bottom under instructions, download and read DM's "Lazy Q" E Book. Best read and help for electrics ever. You will eventually find the formula for how much wood for you preferred smoke profile. You are going to enjoy it for sure!

Doug- Steve included a printed copy of the Lazy Q book but thanks for the tip that its online.  That will be convenient.  BTW, I see you are in Carrollton.  We were in Coppell for 18 years before we moved to the Austin area a couple of years ago.
Ken H

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 10:12:05 PM »
Ken, welcome and enjoy! You have a great smoker but there is a little learning curve, lot of help on this site.
I wonder if you had "a lot of smoke" if you possibly didn't have combustion? It seems like a lot of smoke is not the norm. Just a thought
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!