Author Topic: 3D Wifi popping 20A breaker - HELP!  (Read 4445 times)

Booray

• Greg
Re: 3D Wifi popping 20A breaker - HELP!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 09:09:23 AM »
I had the same problem with my #2 on Thanksgiving morning.  I've used the same outlet for the last 3 years.  GFI kept popping and when I switched to a non GFI outlet the on light came on and then immediately turned off.  I am nowhere near comfortable messing around with electrical wires, anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue?   
Greg from Ohio

LandToSea

• 3D WiFi owner
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 03:28:44 PM »
It appears we are functional again. First I rewired the short runs from the relay so the back plate could be off with everything connected. I plugged it in after and it powered up. Woohoo! Ya, not so fast... I moved all of the wires around to see if it would short out and it didn't. So, I started reattaching the back plate and the breaker disconnected. This made me think the power cord was kinked/ pinched and shorting where it is crimped entering the back plate so I pulled that section through the opening and cut back some outer jacket to inspect, but the wires were perfectly fine.

So, I replaced the PID controller Steve sent to test and it powered up again, but threw the breaker shortly after.

The only thing left was the heating element which I then replaced and so far that is working. It has been running without losing power for an hour at full power.

I am happy that it was possible to resolve without trying to safely ship the entire unit back. Fingers crossed it keeps working and I can finally cook this pastrami.

LandToSea

• 3D WiFi owner
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 09:43:18 PM »
All good. 7 hour smoke at 250 completed today.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
Yay!  I hope to be hearing a lot of future stories about all of the great smokes.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...