Author Topic: Using Bradley pucks  (Read 3555 times)

MyOwnIdaho

Using Bradley pucks
« on: March 09, 2018, 06:44:45 PM »
I have a bunch of pucks left over from my now defunct Bradley and I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how to use them. My thought was to stack them two high and place on foil. Thoughts? Suggested quantities?

Jim from Idaho

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Using Bradley pucks
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:33:39 PM »
begging for experimentation.  I would just run some dry runs in the empty smoker and see how they burn.  Start with a 1 hour test and an hour and a half or 2 hour test. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 06:43:38 AM »
This question has definitely come up before, but I don't recall anyone ever posting their results on how the pucks actually worked. Maybe there is someone around who has already tried using them. I wouldn't stack them. Try just laying them in the smoke box down the middle not directly over a hole, and see if they combust. If they do, then try lining the smoke box with foil.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:00:34 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 08:37:00 PM »
...What they said!  It's expensive wood, so do what you can to see if it works!  You also might wrap the bottom of the puck in foil, if it catches fire on you.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

MyOwnIdaho

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 09:20:22 PM »
Okay, the leftover Bradley pucks are superb for lower temperature smoking. I did a batch of jerky this weekend. I put three pucks on foil and the first step was two hours at 100 to dry the meat. The pucks burned up on the initial heating. I then used four pucks stacked two high on foil when I was at 140. I had great smoke for about three hours. Best smoke on jerky to date.

Jim from Idaho

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 01:01:20 PM »
Okay, the leftover Bradley pucks are superb for lower temperature smoking. I did a batch of jerky this weekend. I put three pucks on foil and the first step was two hours at 100 to dry the meat. The pucks burned up on the initial heating. I then used four pucks stacked two high on foil when I was at 140. I had great smoke for about three hours. Best smoke on jerky to date.
Those are the same temps that I like to use for fish! Did the pucks burning at 100 degrees spike your temps?
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

MyOwnIdaho

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
No. They didn't actually catch fire but when I looked at them when I bumped the temperature up after a couple hours, they were already ash, and there had only been visible smoke for a short time. The next time around, I'll put the pucks in after the first bump in temperature.
Jim from Idaho

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »
And now we know!  Thanks.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle