Author Topic: ballpark timing....  (Read 4949 times)

BIG BOB

ballpark timing....
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:52:03 PM »
gonna put two 10# pork butts in the #2 for thanksgiving.... doing our Thanksgiving on Friday...

i plan to eat at 1 pm Friday - so they butts should go in the #2 at around 3pm Thursday if my temp is around 235 - 240??

i will take them to 195-198 end then pull double foil and throw in cooler with towels...

sound like a solid plan?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Walt

Re: ballpark timing....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 01:56:33 PM »
I would plan for 20 hrs to cook & 2 hour rest @ 225.  The added temp will reduce the time needed.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »
I agree with Walt. To be safe, I would put them in at 1:00pm on Thursday.

You can lower the temp to 140 and hold them until 11:00 if they get done early. Then at 11:00 pull them, double-foil and into the cooler with the towels.

I wouldn't go any higher than 235. I smoke my butts at 225 whether 1 or 2 and have never had a problem.

Are you brining? If not, I would.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »
Thanks Walt and Gregg... i have done numerous butts but never on a time restraint.

i always do them at 225 ish  but wanted to be sure they get done in time. i figured my time (22 hrs) based on 225 degrees.

i have never brined - they alway turn out good.

dont have a briner jr or anything. not sure about room in fridge.... ideas?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »
I have a couple of brining vessels that I use.

One is just a upright Rubbermaid plastic container. I use this for 7-9 pound butts as it holds about 1.75 gallons. Then I have a bigger 18Qt container that I got at a local Restaurant supply store for larger pieces of meat. I have to lower one of my shelves to fit it into the fridge. This is the container that I found locally, but can be had via Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Camwear-Polycarbonate-Square-Storage-container/dp/B001E0JMCC

Or if you really wanted to get serious, buy an extra fridge just for your smoking hobby. ;) I dream for that day. Then I would constantly be brining Buckboard Bacon, Canadian Bacon, Dry-Aged Rib Eyes, etc. I guess I can dream.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 03:22:23 PM »
I generally brine in vac bags but I also have the Rubbermaid containers from Sams.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
I echo the advice from Walt and Gregg.  With time constraints, always allow the extra time...2 hours per pound should work nicely, allowing 20 hours total.   The last butt I did at 235F finished easily under the 2 hour limit, and you can always lower the temp to 140 for a warm and hold if needed.   Always better safe than sorry on the variability of smoking butts!

I also brine every time.  I have a 2 gallon (I think) Rubbermaid container that holds a butt nice...this past weekend, I used it to brine two 5# turkey breasts and they fit perfectly in the container.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »
thanks Steve ... so if i pull them around 10am - i can just hold them in a cooler also ( instead of smoker) double foiled and with a heavy towel or blanket.... until around 12:30 when i pull ?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
Bob, since my single 10.5 lb butt took 25 hours in my #2 this weekend, I would allow additional time to be sure. I also doubt that 2 butts would make a lot of difference but it might.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 04:21:09 PM »
A couple of points:
I agree don't go over 235 for a slow cook. The only time I go over 235 is poultry then I crank it to 250 and hope it runs hot.

Zip lock makes some huge bags that are great for a brine I use those bags in combination with a meat lug I got at GFS. It is an all purpose tub used for meat or busing dishes of tables in restaurants. It has a low profile, fits in the fridge and cleans up easy. I have also brined a lot of big pieces of meat in a 5 gallon igloo container, like teams mix Gatorade in. In hot weather I add frozen bottles of water in it. In winter months I just set the whole thing outside.

I would rather finish early than sit around and stare at a smoker, waiting for the correct IT.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 07:17:30 PM »
Bob...if the butts are done at 10am, then yes, you could remove from the smoker and double foil wrap for 2 hours or so before pulling.  That would work fine, and I would put them in a cooler with towels to keep the heat in.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »
Great advice here, Bob (as usual)!  One suggestion on brining is to put them in a 2-gallon Ziploc bag; just be sure to put the bag in a large pan, just in case it breaks!  I've never had one break (on things larger than my Briner Jr. can handle), but there's always that chance!  My wife would kill me if I had a gallon+ of brine blow out in the fridge! :o :o

As a suggestion, try brining one and do the other one as usual - see if you can tell a difference (hint: you will).  Also, if you're going to allow 24 hours, use 225 for the temp.  It gives great results, and should be fine for that time frame.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 11:51:08 PM »
Don't brine in the fridge if you can't find the room. Put the meat in a ziplock and place it on top of a bag of ice in the cooler.  Turn it easily. Works great.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

BIG BOB

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 07:30:22 AM »
thanks for the advice... i am going to give the butts 24 hours.... should be fine- i assume the 140 holding temp will not dry them out.???
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 09:37:39 AM »
For the amount of time you would be holding it, I don't think you are going to have a problem with it drying out.

Considering a 2 hour rest double-foiled in the cooler, I have feeling that you won't need to have the butts in warm mode for very long.
Gregg - Fargo, ND