Author Topic: anyone ever try these?  (Read 3273 times)

BIG BOB

anyone ever try these?
« on: October 31, 2014, 11:15:44 AM »
I have two ten pound butts for the weekend ... i am gonn use one for pulled pork and I am gonna try this with the other....I  got this recipe from Jeff Phillips site:

Pork Butt Burnt Ends

Folks, this is so easy that you might be tempted to think that it’s not a big deal but.. it is quite the big deal and it’s really, really tasty. I think you will really like these and you might even find yourselves making these often!
Important Information

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 6-8 hours + 2 hours
    Smoker Temp: 250 F
    Meat Finish Temp: 170 F
    Recommended Wood: Hickory/Apple Mix

What You’ll Need

7-8 lb Pork butt (Boston butt)
    Worcestershire sauce (or yellow mustard)
    Jeff’s rub and sauce (purchase recipes here)
    Large foil pan
    Foil

Preparing the Pork Butt

Lay the pork butt in a pan to contain the mess then douse it with Worcestershire sauce or you can use regular yellow mustard if that suits your fancy. it’s just to help the rub stick to the meat a little better.

2013-IMG_0805

Apply rub generously to the top and sides of the pork butt.

2013-IMG_0806
Get the Smoker Ready

Set your smoker up for cooking at about 250 degrees with a mixture of hickory and apple wood if you have it available.

Once the smoker is maintaining a steady temperature, it is ready for the pork butt to go on.

If your smoker has a water pan, be sure to use it.
Smoking the Pork Butt

Place the pork butt directly on the smoker grate fat side down and leave it alone until it reaches 170 degrees which should normally take about 6-8 hours depending on your smoker temperature.

Keeping an eye on the temperature is paramount. Be sure to use a super-fast Thermapen or a good digital probe meat thermometer such as the Maverick ET-732 to make sure you know exactly what the temperature of the meat is while it is cooking.

2013-IMG_0826
Making the Burnt Ends

Once the pork butt reaches 170 degrees, remove it from the smoker and place it on a large cutting board.

At this point in the game, the pork butt is still firm enough to cut into pieces without it falling apart or trying to shred.

2013-IMG_0827

Remove or cut the bone away from the pork butt then cut the pork butt into cubes that are 1 inch by 1 inch (approximately) and place them in a foil pan.

2013-IMG_0833

Add about 1 cup of sauce to the top of the cubed meat and stir it around to coat all of the pieces.

Add about 1 cup of my rub and stir it around once again to coat all of the meat.

2013-IMG_0846

Place the pan of cubed meat into the smoker and leave it for about an hour.
When Are the Pork Butt Burnt Ends Finished?

The burnt ends are finished when they are as dark and charred as you like them. I usually wait about an hour and sometimes 2 hours just depending on how big of a hurry I am in.

2013-IMG_0877

About every hour, grab one and toss it in your mouth. If it tastes heavenly and you want to go ahead and serve them then go for it.

You can easily speed up this process by doing this on the grill at a much higher temperature. Stir often to keep them from burning too much on the bottom.

The cool thing about pork butt burnt ends that YOU make yourself is that you can get them just as dark or charred as you like- it’s totally up to you. I like mine just slightly charred while I have friends who want them nearly black.

You really can have them YOUR way;-)

2013-IMG_0891
Serving the Pork Butt Burnt Ends

I love burnt ends as a main entree of as a side item to ribs, chicken or whatever else you are cooking.

You can also make a mean s
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: anyone ever try these?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
I have never tried this, Bob, but it sounds interesting.  Keep us posted on how the burnt ends turn out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »
Man, I've wanted to try these (saw the same recipe), but have had a hard time dedicating a delectable hunk of pulled-pork goodness to cut-up chunks for pork burnt ends!  Maybe some day...  Let us know how they are, and post some pics - maybe that'll push me over the edge! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »
sorry fellas, Between a cold, raging wind and the fact that I got busy this weekend ---I decided not to smoke any meats... i froze the butts in hopes of another chance to try those burnt ends before the snow flies...LOL... too late - it snowed here in Indiana on Halloween. geez.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »
That sucks, Bob!  Way too early for that kind of weather! >:(
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BIG BOB

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »
    Hey Tony... i froze one of the butts.... have you ever thawed one out?... how and how long did it take to thaw?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 07:09:45 PM »
Bob, when I buy the 2-packs at Sam's, I usually vacuum-pack one and throw it in the freezer.  I usually let it thaw in the fridge for 2-3 days, and then prep for smoke.
Tony from NW Arkansas