Author Topic: TRYING NO FOIL METHOD FOR FIRST TIME  (Read 6599 times)

BIG BOB

TRYING NO FOIL METHOD FOR FIRST TIME
« on: May 09, 2014, 09:20:22 AM »
my wife wants babybacks for Mother's Day... i have always foiled and they have always turned out great. based on the "NO-FOILERS" on this forum - i am gonna try the no foil method.
any suggestions / advice is appreciated.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: TRYING NO FOIL METHOD FOR FIRST TIME
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »
Hi Bob,

I know you have been doing this for a long time, so my steps below may seem pretty basic for you. But I wrote them basic for other less experienced people that may read the steps.

This is what I do anyway and have had very good success. Others can chime in with what they do different.
  • The night before remove the silver skin on the bottom of the ribs, apply Mustard as binder, generously apply your rub of choice, and then plastic wrap and into the fridge
  • The next day, prep the smoker with 2-3 ounces of your chosen smoking wood
  • Water pan (I use a mini-loaf pan) with Apple Cider/Juice or a full flavored beer on the bottom of the smoker right up against the smoker box.
  • Place the cold ribs right from the fridge into the cold prepped smoker.
  • Unless you have a #1, ramp up the smoker from 140 for 45 minutes.
  • After 45 minutes increase to 240 and let it go no peak for a 4.25 more hours. Because my smoker doesn't seem to average 225 when I set it at 225, I have recently increased my rib smoking temperature from 225 to 240 with very good results. I have seen many others smoking their ribs at 240 and appears to be becoming more common place than the 225 temp that we use for most other smokes. You can still go at 225 if you want, but they may take a little longer to get done.
  • Some people sauce at 5 hours and put them back in the smoker. I prefer to cook them until they are done to my liking in the smoker and then sauce and finish in a large cookie sheet under the broiler for a couple of minutes to caramelize the sauce. I find it a lot easier to wash the cookie sheet than the smoker grates

Well, this is my process anyhow. Good luck on Sunday! I hope your wife enjoys her request ribs on Mother's Day.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BIG BOB

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:36:24 AM »
Thanks Gregg.... I have the #2 and I may try the Ribrack that I got for Christmas. I have not tried ramping up the temps -- I will do that. I may even foil my wood & ramp up temps to stop combustion and the dreaded "belch".... I appreciate the advice - I am always willing to listen .

Are the ribs close to fall off the bones.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
I like Gregg's advice all the way around.   As for the belch, I am now using the foil method for the wood with small holes in the foil.   The foil method has worked well for the last 2 smokes to avoid the belch.   Although I think you could still use the slow ramp up method with the foiled wood, I have just set the temp to 225F and let it go.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »
I agree Steve- Gregg's advice is solid.

thanks for the feedback on the foil pouch... do you get a thin blue smoke w/ no combustion?

Steve: Were your ribs "fall-off-the-bone" or kind of competition tough?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »
I cook my ribs to the point where they don't fall apart when I grab a slab, but the meat comes cleanly off the bone with little effort. When I am done with a rib, there is not much left for my dog.  ;)

If you test at 5 hours and it is not loose enough from the bone, just let it go for another 30-60 minutes until it gets to the consistency that you like.

The nice thing about the no peek method is that you can do this without loosing the moisture in the ribs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BIG BOB

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 11:25:50 AM »
Thanks again Gregg.... i am going to go NO-FOIL.... sounds easy and should bear good results for everyone-- except our dogs.... ;)
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »
Bob, Gregg's got it down pat...couldn't have said it better myself. ;)   
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »
Bob... yes, with the foil I get a nice TBS, but it does get heavy after a while but not the dark smoke that I had seen without the foil.   Give it a shot at some point and see what you think.   My ribs are fall off the bone after 5 hours or so...no peek, no sauce, I just let them go now and sauce when they are done.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 09:16:10 PM »
Will do Steve.... I have foiled once with good results.  Can't wait.  5 ish hours no peek.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

vetkilr

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 12:19:31 PM »
Question about foiling the wood chunks. Do you guys wrap the whole chunk with foil and then just poke a couple of holes in the foil? Or are you lining the inside bottom of the wood chamber with foil?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »
I wrap the wood completely in foil and punch BB sized holes around and between the wood chunks.   I have not tried just foiling the bottom of the smoker box, but that might work as well.  I think the key is limiting the amount of air flow around the wood.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

vetkilr

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
Thanks,
This will be done on my next rib smoke to see if it helps me out.
J

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »
vetkilr - the wood foiling method is a way to prevent combustion of the wood.  I use the ramping method (1/2 hour at 130, followed by increasing to the set temp), but either way will work.  I know you're looking for an answer to appearance of the bark; this isn't it.  Foiling the wood, or slowly increasing the temp is only a means to prevent the wood from combusting.  If you've had a problem with the "smoke belch," or thick, grey smoke, then follow these methods.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 01:31:55 AM »
I have not experienced any thick smoke or "belching" and I do not wrap my wood in foil. I have however left the chip screen in the firebox even though I am burning blocks. This was done for my convenience and to keep children from loosing it.  It may be limiting airflow without having to wrap the blocks. Seems easier than wrapping wood chunks like little Christmas presents.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud