Author Topic: temp concerns  (Read 13710 times)

TheSneakyZebra

temp concerns
« on: February 07, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »
so I just made the purchase last night and I am just now seeing people have multiple temp issues. I know there are swings and I can handle some variation but it looks like people are having  a hard time even getting the smoker part the low 200's. I'm kinda freaking out now. Can someone give me some honest I or on what I can expect for temp control or temp issues? Thanks.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

Walt

Re: temp concerns
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 11:23:25 AM »
I have never experienced a temperature problem.  I have heard of a couple of people who needed to adjust their dial.  These units are very simple & reliable.  They only have a rheostat & an element installed in a very durable & well insulated stainless box.  Get a good dual thermometer & follow a proven method for your 1st cook from this site.  There is absolutely nothing to worry about!  This isn't junk like the MES or other box store smokers.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »
I responded to your post on SMF, but will here too just to give my thoughts.

I just ordered my #3 last night as well.

I was in the same boat as you worrying about getting to max temp and you may see several posts on this forum expressing my concern. But the more I read through all the posts and responses to my concerns, they have pretty much been alleviated.

I know there are some having trouble with this. But there are many others that aren't.

I am going to try it sans Auber PID and see how it goes. However, this is easily fixed by buying an Auber PID controller that will give much more precision as well as pretty much take control away from the analog thermostat.

If you want to get temps higher than 250, you can bypass the controller and get temps in the low 300s from what I have read. There are plenty of threads in the Auber Tips & Tricks forum group.

We'll be in this thing together Zebra :)

I got an email this morning shortly after 10:00AM CST that my order has already been shipped.

Now for the anxious waiting.

Koze
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 12:08:27 PM »
After spending $600 I don't think I should have to spend another $200 for a PID controller. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get one of those units that don't work right.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »
I hear you on that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed too.

On the other hand, the more I read about the Auber, I am tempted to get one down the road even if I don't have any problems.

I know you don't want to fork out another $200. But even at that you are into a Smokin-It for way less than you would be if you went with a similar Smoken-Tex or a Cook Shack and way better than those disasters called MES.

I wouldn't get too worried until after you have tested the new one out.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:22:18 PM »
That's what I'm thinking.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 12:23:14 PM »
I have been using a #2 for about a year now, smoking something nearly every weekend.  I have not had problems getting the unit up to the desired temp, which is usually set at 225F.   I do see temp swings of +/-20F on most smokes, but the variation averages out in the long run to my desired temp.   I have also noticed that as time goes by during the smoke, the temp variations come down.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »
I think it is mainly the folks with the #3 that are seeing the unable to get to temp issues.

I think it has something to do with the larger cooking space.

I am still withholding judgment though because there are several with #3's where it works just fine.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »
Zebra - - -  Breathe!!  If temp issues were common, like with some other brands, there wouldn't be this many happy owners posting good things here every day!  If you happen to be one of the very few who have had temp issues, contact Steve and I am positive you'll be treated well!  If, after using it with the analog controller, you are unhappy with the temp swings, go the PID route.  A loaded-up model 3, even with an Auber added, is still a much better value than the cheapest Cookshack.  While their products are great, they're not as capable or accurate as an SI with an Auber.

So, until your units arrive, and you do that first smoke, take a few deep breaths and don't freak out! 8)

Sounds like Gregg got Zen on this! ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:36:53 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 06:01:13 PM »
I am cool as a cucumber baby!  8)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 07:29:21 PM »
Good to hear, Gregg!  You're soon to be even cooler, standing next to your #3! 8)   
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 10:43:28 PM »
Yeah, ditto on all of the above. Just breathe a bit and wait till you get that awesome smoker. I am seriously wishing I bought the #3 but my #2 has been rock solid. It does have the temp swings but as others have mentioned it works out in the end. I am going to add a PID eventually but not completely sold right now on the Auber (but it is fantastic unit, I just want more, I am super techy only reason why).  Adding a water pan can help with temp swings a bit as it acts as a heatsink/buffer with the water vapors. Remember, don't think of the price of shipping with the unit, that is just an unavoidable effect of purchasing a unit this heavy and well packaged.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 10:47:38 PM »
I definitely concur, Ben!  The water pan is a great heat sink, and present on every one of my smokes!  Really helps tame the swings.
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »
Has anyone tried a pan of wet playground sand as a heat sink? 

If I can find the thread (other sites) I will link it.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 11:09:54 PM »
Never thought of that Dave. I could see that working out well for this application. Let us know if you find it. But it does sound pretty simple overall to do.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2