Author Topic: 21 Hours to Smoke Pork Butt???  (Read 2516 times)

ChuckP

21 Hours to Smoke Pork Butt???
« on: June 07, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »
Ive had my SI2 for a couple of years now and its been great.  I got the Auber PID last year and run at 225*.  I just smoked a 10lb pork butt and expected it to take 12-14 hours, but for some reason, it took over 21 hours to reach 200* on the Auber probe.  I checked with my instant read thermometer during the smoke and it was within 1* of the Auber.  Around the 15 hour mark, the temp actually dropped from 184 to 178.  I expected it to be ruined, but it was actually good, maybe a little drier but still fairly juicy.  I've never had anything take this long, not even brisket, any idea what happened?
Chuck
SI2 - w/Auber PID
Large Big Green Egg
Weber Genesis

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 21 Hours to Smoke Pork Butt???
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
Once in a while a hunk pf meat can surprise you done sooner than expected or took longer than expected. On another note, is it possible your element is starting to die? Any chance that you inadvertently programmed another step in your cook that lowered the smoker's temp?  Just some random ideas.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

ChuckP

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 09:11:13 AM »
I hadn't really thought about the element going bad, but the temps on the Auber seem to stay pretty consistent once it gets to temp.  It does seem to take a little bit to get back to temp if the door is opened, etc.  I triple checked the program, I had that same thought.  Oh well, maybe it was just one of those things.
Chuck
SI2 - w/Auber PID
Large Big Green Egg
Weber Genesis

Glock_21

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 07:17:42 PM »
Every butt is different.  I've had some go that long before. 
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
It does seem to take a little bit to get back to temp if the door is opened, etc. 
How often did you open the door?  And what about that etcetera?  Opening the door can definitely add to the cooking time.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 05:48:39 PM »
I understand the temp was not where you thought it should be but how was the meat? If you can shove a finger into it it is done. Personally I like butts in the 180-190 range. It takes a few more minutes to separate the muscle fiber but to me it is moister and better texture.

I hope you got it how you like it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud