Author Topic: First Boston Butt, looking forward to next  (Read 3142 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
First Boston Butt, looking forward to next
« on: July 06, 2013, 09:19:23 AM »
Hi all, I hope everyone had a great 4th!   I tried out my first 7# Boston Butt on the 4th.  I applied the rub the day before so it had about 24 hours wrapped in plastic wrap.  The Butt was in the smoker at 5:30am with temp set to 225F.   Stalled at 11am at 160 IT, and remained there for the rest of the afternoon!   I fully expected the Butt to be finished at 4:30pm, which would be 1.5 hrs per pound.   Well, at 5:30pm, the IT was 175F and folks wanted to eat!  So, with great reluctance, I pulled the Butt and let it rest foiled for about 45 minutes and then pulled it.  The bone did slide out easily, and the meat had an excellent taste and moist, albeit a little tough.

When the IT hit 175F, I wonder how quickly it might have reached 200F (my target) if I had just let it go?   After the stall, how much time have others noticed before the Butt reaches 200?

The first attempt is in the books, but clearly I need to allow more time.  The next go around I will allow 2 hours per pound and see how it goes...
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Re: First Boston Butt, looking forward to next
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »
Pork butt can be one of the most rewarding and frustrating meats to smoke at the same time. There are so many variables that can effect the amount of time it takes to cook that they can be hard to predict.

I was in a similar situation as you with my first butt (8#) but mine was at 190 after 13 hours. I'm no expert but I think you had a good 2 to 3 hours to hit 200. Based on want people are reporting I think 1.75 hour/lb is more on target for pork butt in a Smokin-It smoker
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:31:39 PM »
To get the pork most tender for pulling, get it to at least 195 internal, then foil wrap/rest for 30-min to an hour.  You can actually minimize that really long "stall" period (in the 160s) by foil-wrapping your butt (hehe, I mean the PORK butt) when it hits the stall.  It's a good option when you're short on time, and hungry people are complaining!  It'll knock a couple hours off the cook.  With the 175 IT, it would have been perfect for sliced pork sandwiches!  Pulled pork has to be cooked longer.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
I know you guys are not fans of wrapping between 160-170, but I think it lessens the stall and keeps the moisture in the meat.  I pulled off smoker at 205 IT and let rest in a cooler for 2 hours and the bone fell out and pulled with ease.  Just a thought!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 09:11:31 PM »
I know you guys are not fans of wrapping between 160-170, but I think it lessens the stall and keeps the moisture in the meat.  I pulled off smoker at 205 IT and let rest in a cooler for 2 hours and the bone fell out and pulled with ease.  Just a thought!

You're right, Ed, it absolutely lessens the stall, and I think there's sound science behind that theory.  I'll foil if I want to shave some time off, but I find the bark a lot more chewy when I ride out the stall unwrapped.  I've also done butts both ways, and (probably due to the "sealed" nature of the Smokin-it), I can't see much difference in the moistness of the meat.  There's no "wrong way;" I believe in everyone finding what works best for them.  Good smoking!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!