Author Topic: 2 Boston Butts (16lbs) at Once on the #2  (Read 1906 times)

Smokey

2 Boston Butts (16lbs) at Once on the #2
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »
Amazing pulled pork is almost too easy with Smokin-It Smokers....

So after my first smoke, my neighbors asked when the next one was.  They threw in and I made one for them to share and one for my family.  As before, I brined them in Divot Makers Pork Brine for 10-12 hrs, rinsed, patted dry, slathered in mustard and rubbed Meatheads Memphis Dust (salt free) on them.

I loaded up  3.6 oz of Peach from Fruitawood (cookshack cut) and the last piece of hickory i had from receiving the smoker from Smokin It (1.5 oz), total of 5.1 oz wood, foil boated.  A pan of apple juice was added for moisture.

I read, it is best to keep the meat as high as possible, as well as both on the same shelf.  I was able to fit them both on one shelf, I was a little concerned how close they were together and to the walls / door to get a great bark on all sides.  .  If there was another lb or two of meat, it might have been on 2 shelves.  One of the butts was slightly smaller than the other so I ran a probe to both and kept away from the bone.

Final cook time was around 13.5 hrs and 15.5 hrs to both reach 195 IT at 225.  They both were double foil wrapped, wrapped in towel and this time into the cooler for 2 hr rest.  The results were textbook from my first experience.  I also included a picture of the Maverick (awesome device) of both in the stall at the same time.

I am convinced, once you get it figured out, it is not that difficult to get a very predictable outcome each and every time.

This weekend, I am looking at putting a pork loin on, as we have some family on their way over.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:25:06 AM by Smokey »
Chris - Indiana
Model #2
Maverick 733
Weber Genesis Platinum

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: 2 Boston Butts (16lbs) at Once on the #2
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »
Looks Awesome Chris. Great looking bark on that finished roast.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 2 Boston Butts (16lbs) at Once on the #2
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »
That's what I'm TALKING ABOUT!! ;D   Nice job, Chris!  You are so right - once you get the formula figured-out, you just can't fail! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!