Author Topic: Where's the bark???  (Read 4741 times)

Heltonckb

Where's the bark???
« on: December 17, 2014, 08:42:27 AM »
I've had my smokin it smoker for about a year.  I've been smoking meat for 15 years and I'm stumped.  Why can't I seem to get any real bark to develop on a pork but?  I haven't changed my method: layer of mustard, dry rub smoke it at 225.  I'm almost ready to give up and go back to my stick burner.  Any suggestions are appreciated as I'm expected to smoke some butts for the new year.  Help......

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Where's the bark???
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
Just like my smoke ring is never going to happen in these smokers, you are likely never to see true bark.  The units are so sealed that they produce a lot of box moisture, good for tender, juicy meat but death to bark.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 10:16:40 AM »
Just like my smoke ring is never going to happen in these smokers, you are likely never to see true bark.  The units are so sealed that they produce a lot of box moisture, good for tender, juicy meat but death to bark.

Totally not true that you won't get great bark in these smokers.

I get absolutely great thick bark candy (everyone's favorite) on ALL of my Boston Butt as well as rib smokes. You will however, not get crispy chicken skin unless you are bypassed with an Auber and can take your smoker up to 325-350 degrees.

I am not sure what is going wrong with yours, but here are some questions:

1. Are you smoking with the butt foiled at ANY point during the process? If so, don't use foil during any of this process other than for your double-wrap and rest after you pull it out of the smoker!

2. What rack are you smoking on? You should be placing the butt in the smoker on the highest rack you can where you can still get your thermometer probes in.

3. Fat cap up or down? I always do up and have never tried down. Not sure if this would cause the issue or not.

4. Drip pan anywhere inside the smoker? If so, don't use it!

5. Are you using a water pan? If so, make sure it is on the floor of the smoker bumped right up against the smoke box.

6. How much if any fat are you trimming off prior to smoker? I trim very little off of mine.

Don't give up yet. We'll get you there.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokey

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 11:28:35 AM »
Do you have any pictures of your finished product?  I am new to smoking, and have only used Smokin It, but the bark I receive, we are pleased with.  I have posted new images in the #2 section, as well as the Pork section on a couple of my last smokes, with great results.

If anyone can help you, you will likely find this information on the forum here.  Good luck to you.
Chris - Indiana
Model #2
Maverick 733
Weber Genesis Platinum

Heltonckb

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 02:32:09 PM »
I have been smoking the butts mid level in the smoker.  The fat cap is trimmed and facing up.  I never foil the meat.  I do not use a water pan and the drip pan is exterior to the smoker.  What do you think.  I'm wondering if the smoker doesn't allow enough moisture to escape and that is what causes the bark failure.

Walt

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »
Try again.  Most of us have very good bark. Not a smoker or design failure.  Try doing it like Greg indicated & you should have success.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Smokey

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
It is my understanding you want to keep the meat as high as possible, at least on the boston butts.
Attached are a couple of images of 2 of the last 3 i have completed.  So yours is not coming out looking like mine or NDKoze?
Chris - Indiana
Model #2
Maverick 733
Weber Genesis Platinum

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »
Another suggestion is to be sure you are getting the proper temperature in the box. Use a Maverick or other probe and check it on the shelf you want to cook on. If the temp is to low it's harder to get the bark. Make sure when you are calibrating that you put a foiled wrapped brick or other "load" so you don't get erroneous temp swings.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
The temp swings are nothing to worry about as long as your average is in the ball park.

The next time, don't trim your fat. I usually just trim any spots that look kind of dirty. That fat will pretty much all render out and is a big part of the bark formation. I think trimming the fat cap could be your biggest problem.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »
Here's a basic question:  What kind of rub are you using?  If you are using something that doesn't contain any sugar, you likely won't see good bark (nothing to caramelize).  Try your method with something like Famous Dave's Rib Rub, or Meathead's Memphis Dust...if you don't get good bark, there's something else going on!  I NEVER fail to get great bark, and have many satisfied eaters that will vouch for it.  Total myth about no good bark in an electric!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

vetkilr

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 12:21:13 PM »
My guess is your not truly getting smoker up to high enough temp.
I would bump it up 25 degrees and not use a water pan.My last one I did avg'd 240 degrees( set for 250) and bark was perfect with no water pan. My first couple I tried at 225 with a water pan bark was soggy.

Bear

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
I just smoked some ribs the other day in mod 2 and got a nice park.  Mustard to bind, bone down with bone down on ribs.  Had Apple juice in a disposal pan...

Agree with all about able to obtain a bark...

Bear