Author Topic: Pork Butt Question  (Read 9748 times)

Walt

Re: Pork Butt Question
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 11:45:25 AM »
After the brine, I will apply binder & rub & possibly even inject for more added flavor, then let rest overnight.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 11:55:11 AM »
I let mine rest in the fridge for an hour or so while I get the smoker all foiled, wood loaded, etc.

I wouldn't bother Saran wrapping. You will loose some of your rub and binder on the wrap when you take it off. Just set it in the fridge uncovered for an hour or two until you are ready to drop it into the smoker.

I have a cookie drying rack that I place in a cookie sheet that I set mine on.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 09:34:18 PM »
I am planning to use the brining method that I think was introduced by Tony and seems to have caught on with several of the rest of you.
After brining, rinsing and drying, do you apply the mustard & rub and then let the butts sit covered in the fridge for a few hours to let the rub absorb or do they then go directly into the smoker (or does it matter)?

I rinse the brine and pat dry, then apply the mustard and rub.  I then get the smoker ready (takes about 5 minutes), then straight in with the butt!  I don't see any need to delay getting the meat in as cold as possible, and you're really not going to get much additional flavor in an hour or so.  Get it in, and get it going!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

CUTiger80

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »
Ok guys, thanks again for all of your help.
I now have a plan in place and I just need to execute it.
I will report back next week on the results. 
I mentioned in one of my other posts that I was going to perform a somewhat structured test with my very dry Weber wood chunks in an effort to figure out the best way to use them (4 bags worth) without the proverbial belching.  So far, I have performed 2 tests and, briefly, here are those results.  (I will start a new post on this subject once I have performed all of the tests I intend to do.)
I simulated meat by wrapping 2 concrete bricks with foil and placing them on the top shelf.  I put about 1 qt of water in a pan next to the wood box.  I turned the smoker to 235 deg and then recorded the internal temp of the smoker as well as the amount of smoke coming out of the top at 5 minute intervals.  I recorded time/temp of when the burner switched off and then back on.  I ran each test for 1:15 because all of the belching issues I had had previously were within the first 45 minutes or so of a smoke.
Test 1: (2) dry apple wood chunks (right out of the bag), approx. 1.5 oz and 1 oz, both completely wrapped tightly in foil with several slits cut into the top.  This seemed to work fairly well with no belches.  I did get fairly heavy smoke from about 200 deg until the burner cut off at 255 deg.  The smoke was very light when I ended the test at 1:15.
Test 2: Same as above, but I soaked the wood chunks in water overnight.  This also seemed to work fairly well with no belches.  Surprisingly, I started to get smoke at about the same temp as test 1.  The smoke seemed to be more consistent throughout the entire test (never was as heavy as it was in test 1) and the smoke was still pretty steady when I ended the test at 1:15.  I did get some smoke "puffs" in this test when the burner came back on for the second time, but no noisy belches.
I performed both of these tests, but today I am going to install my new Auber.  I am thinking that I may need to perform them again once the Auber is installed since it will prevent the temp from overshooting the set point.
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

CUTiger80

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »
One other quick question about wood for this smoke.
I have seen several say that for (2) 10 lb. butts they used 5.5-6 oz of wood. 
Do you break this up into numerous 1-1.5 oz pieces or do you use pieces as big as possible that will still fit into the smoke box with the lid closed?
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »
For a shorter rib/poultry smoke, I cut my pieces down.

But for a long butt smoke, I usually just leave them whole as long as the smoke box cover can close.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

vetkilr

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »
For me wood pieces have been to inconsistent, even when I would wrap them or try and soak them. I have switched over to good pellets. I weigh them out and wrap in foil with 1 or two small slits, and will never go back. I get perfect and consistent smoke every time.
Just smoked 2 whole chickens last night for pulled chicken sandmiches...mmmmmmmmmmmm.
I always have smoke coming out at 20-25minute mark and the smoke is pretty much nonstop til the cooking is done. 4 ozs of hickory pellets, 2.5hrs and chickens were perfect.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 06:07:10 PM »
I am puzzled as to how much you guys worry about wood. All that foiling, soaking a stressing. I grab a chunk either small medium or large and toss it in the back of the firebox. I don't monitor smoke color or duration and have no complaints over anything that I make in my SI.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »
+1
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »
+2

I would never dream of opening the door because the color didn't look right or if I had a belch. Opening the door is really the worst thing you can do, because if the wood hasn't ignited yet, that rush of oxygen when you open the door will light it up for sure.

Just leave the door shut and ride it out.

I do employ the ramp up technique to cut down on the belches. But, I don't bother with the foil boats.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
+3

Yeah, I just add an appropriate sized chunk of wood to the #1 and let 'er go!
~Martin

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
+4...mostly. ;)   In the #1, throw the wood in and let 'er rip; never a belch.  The #2 will, so I do put foil on whatever size chunks weigh out right, and fit.  Other than that, no other intervention!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!