Author Topic: Ribs and greasiness???  (Read 2672 times)

WessPort

Ribs and greasiness???
« on: December 06, 2014, 07:51:09 PM »
My husband can't tolerate grease of any kind and I usually boil off the ribs just so he can tolerate them. That has allowed me to keep Qing ribs.  They are tender with good flavor and hubby can eat them and loves them. 

My question to you all is...you say not to boil off...how is the grease content of smoked ribs?  The rubs and sauces sound fantastic, but if hubbie can't tolerate fatty grease content, my smoker will be less than I hoped for.  I know I would love it, but it would be a one time thing.    :-\

Any other grease/fatty conscious folks out there?

I'm all into fat flavoring...my hubby, not so much.

p..

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Ribs and greasiness???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 09:42:15 PM »
Pork ribs or beef?

As far as pork, I have found the spare racks (longer ones that wrap around the belly) ? are less "greasy" than St Louis or Baby Backs.  THOUGH, you wont get as much meat on that cut vs baby or st louis cut.   

Pork is pork though, there is fat in there, which is a lot of the flavor.  i.e. bacon

John

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 01:08:08 AM »
The end result of how much grease you have depends on how much you start with. I trim large chunks off when doing my prep. I don't feel the #3 gets hot enough at its consistent 235 to render the fat like other smoking methods I have used. However it is not such an issue for me that I would ever stop using my #3 i is just to convenient and consistent.  My recommendation is boil his ribs and not yours, you will have the better meal.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:17:21 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

WessPort

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 11:33:33 AM »
I like that suggestion Brian.  Thanks, I'll do them both ways and then let hubby try his and mine and let him decide what he likes best. 

p..

goldentouch

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 06:39:11 PM »
Like Brian I trim a lot of the fat off the ribs before smoking. 
Eddie from East Texas

WessPort

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks Eddie!