Author Topic: Chinese Sticky Ribs  (Read 4162 times)

Kal

Chinese Sticky Ribs
« on: November 24, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »
I smoked Chinese sticky ribs this weekend in my SI#2 and they turned out pretty good. I was a little concerned about the smoke mixing with the Asian spice and marinade but it was a success.

Sorry for the poor photos.

I have a question for everyone, has anyone smoked Bison before? I have read Bison meat is better for you than beef. It is a very lean meat so I am wondering if does not smoke well.

Walt

Re: Chinese Sticky Ribs
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
What a tease, Kal.  Give us a little more.  Educate us on how?  Sounds like an interesting smoke.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Kal

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »
Sorry Walt I should have included the recipe.

I bought 5lbs of spares and did a marinade overnight. I usually do these on the BBQ but wanted to try them smoked. I used a small amount of Pecan wood, about 1 oz. I cooked them for three hours, mopped them and wrapped in foil. I put back in the smoker for one hour, removed and let rest for 30 minutes. If you want finish them off on the BBQ for a char.

1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
1/2 cup of honey
2 teaspoons of Sesame oil
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
2 teaspoon of Sriracha sauce (add more if you want them real spicy)
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoon chopped green onion

The mop is more Hoisin sauce, honey and a little soy sauce. You want the mop to be thick so use a small amount of soy sauce.

Garnish with more green onion and toasted sesame seeds.

All of the ingredients can found in the Asian section of the supermarket.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 01:09:08 PM »
Very nice. Thanks Kal.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
I have smoked Bison, we have shot two and enjoy the meat. However bison like other lean game meat does not handle the smoke and heat like a chunk of pork.  I will attach pictures of a chunk of bison I made, somewhat poorly. It was tasty though a bit dry. I am pretty critical though and others that had it loved it.

I should have gone with a lower temp then seared it at the finish. What I made was excellent for sandwiches just not as awesome as it could have been.

I have made Bison Pastrami from the eye of the round that turned out very good, the brine process helped with increased moisture. This is the pastrami, there are some pictures of the whole pieces and it sliced:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1809.0

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Kal

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
Thanks for the information Pork Belly, I like the pastrami idea.

I have been looking for better quality meat and Bison sounded like something different to try. I recently began buying beef from a grass fed farm Angus beef ranch. We are concerned about the local store meat, corn fed, antibiotics, hormones that can be in the beef, the grass fed beef tastes very different, it is much leaner but tastes great. The cost prevents me from buying all my meat from this ranch, eating healthy is darn expensive. Some of their cuts as much as $25 or $30 dollars a pound.

Thanks again!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:06:27 PM »
If I had to pay market price for bison it would not be going in the smoker. I had less than $2000. invested in hunting two bison so I had the excess meat to experiment with. Grass fed beef is great stuff but is also pretty pricy. I do well buying meat from small farms I have a relationship with going back a few years so that helps.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »
Nice looking ribs, Kal!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 03:44:28 PM »
Kal,
Was the marinade a Char Siu?  I've been trying to re-create a good Asian boneless rib like one gets at the restaurants. 

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Kal

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 09:27:22 AM »
Dave,
Yes, the marinade was the Char Siu, the same as the Chinese restaurants. I make this style of rib often on the grill and finally tried them my #2. They came out pretty good, the smoke and the Asian marinade mixed nicely. I did not use to much wood because I was afraid it would overwhelm the flavors. If you want it just like the restaurant take them out of the smoker early and finish them off on grill for that nice char!
Cheers