Author Topic: ...#2 or #3 decisions decisions...  (Read 16984 times)

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
Re: ...#2 or #3 decisions decisions...
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »
Dropping now though....  :D
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »
The seasoning process isn't just to burn off particulate contaminates (styrofoam, etc.) but to help build the necessary patina on the SS surfaces to help build "flavor" into your smoker.

Is the drip pan installed while you're seasoning?  Temps seem to spike without it in place ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »
The seasoning process isn't just to burn off particulate contaminates (styrofoam, etc.) but to help build the necessary patina on the SS surfaces to help build "flavor" into your smoker.

Is the drip pan installed while you're seasoning?  Temps seem to spike without it in place ...

OK... Drip pan... gotcha... putting it in now... at 243 and falling...
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 08:17:48 AM »
OK... she's been seasoned for four hours :D

The temperature initially with NO LOAD and no drip pan went on up to 275 and then dropped to about 195 with the dial on 210... after that I put the drip pan in and it went up to about 237 and dropped to the 190's...  so I'm excited to try something in it. 

If I have time tonight I'll do a fattie in it for a test run and Friday I'm planning on a brisket and so I have something to compare to since I've done these before I'm going to use the Emeril recipe that I've used a few times.  I'm wondering if I just cooked the brisket at too high of a temperature before.... since I got either slice-able brisket or falling apart brisket that was too dry (good nonetheless though) so... I'm just going to stick with that recipe AND temp setting just to see the difference in cooking on the weber vs the smokin-it.  If the results are not a very tender piece of meat I'll try smokeasaurus' step temp method...

Cheers...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »
Congrats on the seasoning run, Jerz!  IMO, watching temps with an empty smoker is an exercise in frustration.  Watching them with a meat load and water pan is a totally different thing.  The unit is designed to cook meat, not maintain a constant temp when empty.  The meat absorbs heat, as does the water pan.  When the element cycles on and off, the internal cooker temp is maintained by all the stuff in there that has absorbed heat, thus smaller temp swings.  In an empty smoker, nothing will hold heat once the element goes off. 

I've never been really concerned with monitoring the smoker temp, as my cooks always turn out relatively close to plan.  I finally bought a Maverick 732 and, just for fun, watched the cooker temp a couple of weeks ago while smoking a Boston butt...I was absolutely amazed that the largest swing I saw was about 10-degrees, and most of the time it was either dead-on, or within 5 degrees.  I can certainly live with that!  So, don't get to wrapped up on cooker temp and swings - just cook some Q and don't stress!  This really is a smoker that you don't have to babysit!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »
Thanks DM...  I definitely won't get wrapped up in it...  I love the simplicity more than anything else and I almost bought a used Amerique for 1k but was uncomfortable with the possibility of the electronics failing...  I DO like to see how things work though so that's why I like to monitor just for obsevation purposes only.... 

I got home at 6pm and had a fatty on by 7pm, walked the dog,  went to Costco,  got me some brisket and flank steak (for jerky)  and I'll be wearing this thing out this weekend...  I really love it... and the size of the #3 is just perfect.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to becoming as experienced with this thing as you and everyone else already is...

Cheers!

DivotMaker

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »
Many good times ahead, Jerz!  Still trying to decide what to smoke this weekend.... perhaps brisket?  Hmmm... For jerky, you might want to check out the posts on the jerky drier attachment - looks pretty cool.  I plan to get one, now that I've seen folks having success with it!  Let us know how your weekend smokeapalooza turns out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »
I meant to rub the brisket last night but ran out of time... I need to checkout the jerky recipes and I DO already have the jerky dryer attachment so I'll let you know how it goes so tonight I'll be prepping the meats for the weekend smokes this evening...

DivotMaker

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »
Jerz - definitely add your experience with the jerky drier!  I think I'm doing pork loin tomorrow for samiches....mmm, mmm!  :P
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 10:38:47 PM »
Don't discount pork jerky, Divot ... you'd be surprised at how tasty it is.  I'm actively scouting ostrich and bison for jerky once I spring for the Jerky Dryer ... amazing flavor for both.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
Don't discount pork jerky, Divot ... you'd be surprised at how tasty it is.  I'm actively scouting ostrich and bison for jerky once I spring for the Jerky Dryer ... amazing flavor for both.

I love pork jerky!  I was just adding what I was cooking yesterday.  I'd definitely be down with the bison jerky, but might have to think twice about the ostrich. :o
Tony from NW Arkansas