Author Topic: Hello from Washington State  (Read 5810 times)

jbauch357

Hello from Washington State
« on: February 18, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »
Hey everybody, FNG here in Duvall, WA.

I started smoking about 10 years ago, making simple salmon candy on a propane smoker while fishing the Sockeye run in Alaska (an annual trip I make with my dad and friends).  That recipe is pretty much impossible to screw up, so we never really had any written ingredient list or process.

About 4 yrs ago when I got married I got a cheap propane smoker as a present and started experimenting with brisket, different fish recipes, pork loin, etc.  It was always a huge burden to try and keep things at the correct temp with the right amount of smoke, so I "upgraded" to a masterbuilt pro propane smoker and things were a little better but I still continued to ruin a lot of good meat and had to spend the entire smoke monitoring very finicky temperatures.

I finally decided to do some research and landed on the SI #2 with a permanent probe and Auber controller as the holy grail of easy no fuss smoking.  About that time my wife was out of work so I've been on hold for over a month, with my cart full, and ready to hit order just as soon as she's getting paid again.

The delay has given me plenty of time to do research, and I can't wait to get the smoker on hand so I can proceed with customizing it - then giving my first go at properly slow smoked salmon filets.  From there is on to brisket, pork loin, ribs, etc :)

Attached is a picture of an entire batch of salmon basically ruined by a temp spike that I caught too late, and is precisely why I'm going electric with digital temp control.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:08:28 PM by jbauch357 »
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Hello from Washington State
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 12:18:14 PM »
Welcome from ND J!

That's a shame about that Salmon :(

I think you will be really happy with the SI especially with the added Auber.

There is a lot of great information here as well as some Salmon smokes. But, we'll be looking forward to some of your tips too.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Limey

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 03:19:39 PM »
Hello there from the Florida Keys. I'm sure you will enjoy the SI unit; sorry about the salmon. How about posting your recipe for salmon candy. Is it what I know as squaw candy?
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

1stlink

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 04:09:19 PM »
Welcome aboard.. I like your setup(SI #2 with a permanent probe and Auber controller) as it is identical to mine and purchased about the same time too.
Most everyone adds their Name & Location in the signature area but it is an option..
Hopefully you will have no more bad salmon.. :(

jbauch357

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:19:33 PM »
Right now I've got a simple salt/pepper recipe that has great brine flavor but lacks smoke in the finished product due to smoking too hot and not staying on long enough.  I'm hoping ~3-4hrs smoke at around 130 degrees will be about right, but will have to prove that theory.

The salmon candy (or squaw candy) I've been messing with the brine to change the texture of the final product, and haven't had much luck with yet.  Similar to the salt/pepper, I'm going to revert back to my original dry brine but with the lower temperatures the SI is capable of and report back.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »
For a low temp smoke like that, I would strongly recommend chips or pellets as they will start smoking faster.

I have tried low temp smokes with chunks and they don't get a lot of smoke going.

You could also try an A-MAZE-N smoker that can provide true cold smoking capability. But they have some issues with staying lit in the tight Smokin-It smokers. See my thread on this:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2639.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:44:55 PM »
Welcome to "Club Lazy Q," Josh!  Good to have you with us, and will be good to hear the dear wife's getting paid again! ;)   Congrats on a great decision - you won't regret it!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:02:17 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »
Hi Josh from warm sunny Florida. It looks like you have seen the Lazy-Q light called the SI. You won't be sorry. I had many experiences like you and was very annoyed. Gład I made the change.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

septemberelk

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 09:18:30 PM »
Welcome josh. This is a great site if you have any questions. Lots of great info.
Mike from western Washington. Smokin it #4

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 03:00:03 PM »
Welcome from Colorado Josh. FNG???? Must mean former naval gunner....  8) You will love the #2.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Walt

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »
I think the NG stands for new guy.  You will have to figure the F out by yourself.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

1stlink

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 03:21:29 PM »
How about: Finally No Gas     8)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 08:52:36 PM »
I think the NG stands for new guy.  You will have to figure the F out by yourself.

Brian said "Foil" is the F-word! ;) ;D ;D   Guess it could mean "Foil No Good!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »
I think you may have arrived at the answer Tony!  ;)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

jbauch357

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 02:32:40 PM »
Order placed!

It'll be here Thursday, that will give me Friday after work to install the probe, then Saturday I'll season and auto-tune. 

Looks like I better get some fish thawing and ready for brine.  I'll make sure to document everything in case this batch turns out the way I think it should.