Author Topic: Smoker box revision?  (Read 12207 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Smoker box revision?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »
Mine is only a month old, how do I check the wattage?

Aaron,

If your smoker is only a month old it would have the 800 watt heater. Look at the serial number plate (located top right side back of smoker) and you will see the watts.

Greg

va_rider

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »
Ah. Yes. The data tag says 800W.

Also... Figured out the mystery of the smoke box... My memory sucks. It has holes in it....  As much as I've used this thing in the past month, apparently I can't remember that the box has holes in it....  Time to email Steve back and tell him I'm a dummy.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

Beachdive

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 02:23:31 AM »
Mine is only a week old, 800 watt, and has holes in the bottom just like the one pictured.
Chip from Nags Head, NC
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 07:32:43 AM »
I would be curious to know why they added holes in the bottom of the smoke box...as I noted earlier, my #2 is over 2 years old and arrived with no holes on the bottom.   It seems to me that with the holes in the bottom, you have a greater chance of combustion as well as for ash to fall through onto the heating element.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 07:59:52 PM »
I would be curious to know why they added holes in the bottom of the smoke box...as I noted earlier, my #2 is over 2 years old and arrived with no holes on the bottom.   It seems to me that with the holes in the bottom, you have a greater chance of combustion as well as for ash to fall through onto the heating element.

You're the first person I heard mention that!  I thought they always had holes (my #1 is over 2 years old, and has holes).  Might email Steve and ask!  Let us know what you hear.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 08:31:07 AM »
So I went outside to check the smoke box, just to be sure.   Something must have happened since the last time I smoked...now my box has holes on the bottom  :o   All this time I thought the bottom was solid, so now I know!   Unreal.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 08:33:32 AM »
So I went outside to check the smoke box, just to be sure.   Something must have happened since the last time I smoked...now my box has holes on the bottom  :o   All this time I thought the bottom was solid, so now I know!   Unreal.

Haha.....

Must have been those little green men :)

Greg

va_rider

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:23 AM »

At least I'm not the only one...
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 09:14:05 AM »
I am in good company, then!   It's amazing to me how many times I have dropped wood in that box and did not notice the holes on the bottom.   I guess this is why human beings do not make good eye witnesses!  ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
Now we can go back to focusing on why the holes are there in the first place.  LOL!
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

va_rider

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 11:09:32 AM »
Now we can go back to focusing on why the holes are there in the first place.  LOL!

Yeah, on that note, I've seen several folks on the forum say that they lay down foil in the entire bottom of the smoker box to make cleanup easier. For the folks that do that, do you punch holes in the foil for the holes? Does it mess up airflow?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 11:23:58 AM »
Foil goes on the bottom of the smoker, poke the drain hole through. Then foil the top of the firebox.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 11:30:30 AM »
All the foil in the wood box stories are to stop wood combustion.  I wonder if Steve would make me a box with no holes in it to start with?  I'd try it as an R&D effort unless he has already been down that road. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

va_rider

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »
Foil goes on the bottom of the smoker, poke the drain hole through. Then foil the top of the firebox.

I'm familiar with doing that... but some folks say that they also line the inside of the smoker box (the box that holds the wood) with foil for easy cleanup.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »
The box that holds the wood is the Firebox. I do not understand why anyone would want to do that, seems like a waste of time and foil.

I personally do not understand the attempts to reinvent the SI. I know some folks just are not satisfied and need to tinker but  this thing works really good as is.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud