Author Topic: Smoker box revision?  (Read 12258 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Smoker box revision?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 12:12:47 PM »
To stop the belch I (like others) line the bottom of the smoke box with a single piece of foil. The belch no longer happens!

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
Do you sit and watch the entire smoke to see this mysterious belch? I do not, so it may be "Belching" every five minutes for all I know.

I don't believe it is anything to worry about, lots of you guys talk about "it happened" but I haven't read about any spoiled meals.

It is wood and heat, there is likely to be an occasional fire, not a big deal.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Trip

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »
The foil is acting like a small layer of insulation and reduces airflow to the wood.  Less air = less likely to combust, always remember the fire triangle (heat, fuel, and an oxidizing agent)

It definitely makes a difference, I see much cleaner smoke from just using foil boats vs nothing at all. 

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 12:22:11 PM »
Do you sit and watch the entire smoke to see this mysterious belch? I do not, so it may be "Belching" every five minutes for all I know.

I don't believe it is anything to worry about, lots of you guys talk about "it happened" but I haven't read about any spoiled meals.

It is wood and heat, there is likely to be an occasional fire, not a big deal.

In the past when it belched you could hear it in the house. The wood now turns into what looks like lump charcoal.

For me I don't worry, I use 5 cents of foil on the bottom and change it every once in a while.

Each to their own :)

Greg

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
I am a firm believer in "If it is legal and makes you happy, go for it" but I don't feel the need.

I toss in a chunk of wood, set the dial and come back later to collect my food.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 12:56:31 PM »
Brian, we each have our own head scratching moments.  I can't wrap my head around the guys that measure the moisture content of their wood or measure it to tenths of an ounce but each of us has our own rituals that provide peace of mind.  From a quality standpoint, I do believe that fire produces sooty smoke and is detrimental to the food quality but I'm also sure that we all do what we do because we believe it effects the quality of the end product. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Jcnme

• Frank
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »
I just bought a #2 and received it Wednesday. The smoker box has holes in the bottom.so you might want to contact Steve on that issue. 8)
It costs nothing to believe and everything not to.😇

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2015, 11:03:38 PM »
I just bought a #2 and received it Wednesday. The smoker box has holes in the bottom.so you might want to contact Steve on that issue. 8)

Welcome to the club, Jcnme!  Looks like everyone agrees there are, indeed, holes in the bottom of the smoke box! ;)

Now that you're with us, head over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself (Q experience, etc.).  Also, adding your first name and town, to your Forum Profile signature line is appreciated!  We like to know our new members!

Let us know how we can help you become a SI Pit Master! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!