Author Topic: Dry Age Burger Blend  (Read 14944 times)

Roostershooter

Dry Age Burger Blend
« on: January 06, 2019, 04:14:31 PM »
I am thinking about putting a custom burger blend together.  One that consists of a dry aged chuck, brisket and short ribs in a ratio of 3-1-1.  Has anybody out there ever tried this?  Any comments on the ratio of meat are welcome. 
 I think i will age the chuck about 40 days but I was wondering how the pellicle should be trimmed off when preparing to grind.  Some folks out there grind the whole roast, pellicle and all.  I do not think I can do that and wonder if that is really safe?  Should the pellicle be lightly trimmed taking maybe an 1/8 off and leaving the rest?  Any thoughts or experience on this is also appreciated. 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Dry Age Burger Blend
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:15:08 PM »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 06:53:02 PM »
Another board I frequent, a few of them use the pellicle for just what you are thinking. I think I actually ground some up the last time I made burgers as well, but it’s been a while. I’ll check my notes to see if I have this.

A few others don’t really trim it at all and carve out and eat it as is. I’ve actually enjoyed the texture and flavor the pellicle provides over time.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Roostershooter

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 11:44:38 PM »
Seems that some lightly trim and some don’t trim at all for burger. I guess that when you are making 20-25 pounds of hamburger that the pellicle would not impart much flavor really. As long as the entire batch was not ruined due to adding it. I have been just giving it to the dogs.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 12:08:16 AM »
There was that show on Food Network that featured a huge family run meat distributor run by two brothers. I cant remember the name but they were a big deal in the NYC Restaurant market.

They developed a dry aged burger for a steak house that featured dry aged steak. They made a big deal about it on the show but all they did was use the standard brisket/chuck mix and included the trim from their dry aged primal cuts to give it some funky aged flavors.

You could do the same, invest the time in aging some fantastic steak and use the trim to flavor your burgers.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Roostershooter

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »
I think this go around I will just trim up the chuck and add it into a batch of burger at a later date.  For now, just use the aged chuck, brisket, and short ribs to make a burger blend. 

I think the restaurant was peter lugar's place in NYC.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:57:28 PM »
The Show I was referencing was Meat Men, featuring Lafrida & Son Meats. They younger guys were cousins not brothers. I just came across an episode on YouTube while looking for something else.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Roostershooter

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 12:30:18 PM »
Ok, I will have to check that out/  Thanks!

Roostershooter

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »
I ended up talking to a couple of butchers and switched gears a bit on my custom burger blend.  i dry aged a sirloin for 40 days, trimmed the pellicle and chunked the sirloin and mixed it with equal amounts of brisket and chuck.  The pellicle was soaked overnight in beef broth and ground in with the sirloin, brisket and chuck.  The resulting blend is really good.  Great beefy flavor and about 20% fat.  If you were thinking about creating your own blend, I can highly recommend this one.

barelfly

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 09:20:17 PM »
Cool blend! How did you dry age the chuck? Did you use a Umai bag?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Roostershooter

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »
The sirloin was dry aged.  Yes, used a Umai bag.  I have been debating about getting a dedicated dry age fridge but the bags are cheap and reliable.