Author Topic: Old Style Number #3 (PreHandle) with Handle Added  (Read 6012 times)

Wik

Old Style Number #3 (PreHandle) with Handle Added
« on: December 06, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »
I don't have to lift my number three, but I do have to get it over a door jam every time I wheel it outside.  So I thought I might as well bite the bullet and add a handle.  Wasn't sure how strong it would be but is seems to not have any give in it with the handle I added.  Plus I can hang cords / towel on it.

I bought a Stainless Door Pull from Amazon for ~25 bucks (I used "Don-Jo 7017" but there are all kinds of sizes).  Basically used the push plate that came with the handle along with some stainless large fender washers on the inside of the back panel for extra strength and then just the handle on the exterior. 

/Wik
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:26:03 PM by Wik »
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Old Style Number #3 (PreHandle) with Handle Added
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »
Looks great.  I took my cord hooks off because getting the cover on and off was a PITA squared.  Since you store it inside, I guess that isn't an issue.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 08:55:23 PM »
Nice!  Great to see you again, Chad!  Been wondering what you've been up to.  Taken any more winter selfies? ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cogGrease

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:17:21 PM »
I like the cutting board, or nylon bottom shelf. Is that for a bigger dip pan, stability,  or to protect from splashes? Just curious, looks like a good idea.
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

Wik

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
I'm surprised someone caught that...

I had plans to have 2 cutting boards.  One mounted solid via the wheel bolts drilled thru it, then one on some type of roller shelf/drawer brackets so I could slide one out (to avoid those pesky drips when loading / unloading the smoker).  Problem is I never really finished that project...  :-[

I have tabled that project until I see what the enclosed #3 carts will look like.  If I ever finish my thought process on it I'll post the end result.
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:46:58 PM »
They should look just like the #2 & 3, Wik, just deeper.

Enclosed Cart
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 01:17:26 PM »
I've been wanting to figure out a drip reducer for the front end of my #2 as well. I don't like dripping on my new composite deck!  :-\
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 05:27:46 PM »
Bob, I lay a 24" X 24" ceramic tile on the ground in front of my smoker door.  It saves the deck and cleans up nicely since it is a hard surface as opposed to the absorptive mats that are available.   
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 06:39:59 PM »
Thanks Dave, good idea.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

cogGrease

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 10:11:36 PM »

I had plans to have 2 cutting boards.  One mounted solid via the wheel bolts drilled thru it, then one on some type of roller shelf/drawer brackets so I could slide one out (to avoid those pesky drips when loading / unloading the smoker).  Problem is I never really finished that project...  :-[

I have tabled that project until I see what the enclosed #3 carts will look like.  If I ever finish my thought process on it I'll post the end result.

I hear ya, I've got more projects than I know what to do with. Looks like a good idea!
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 12:46:35 AM »

I really dig that idea. Hmm makes me want to make something like that.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2