Author Topic: Smoked a Fattie This Weekend  (Read 2221 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Smoked a Fattie This Weekend
« on: October 25, 2014, 11:41:40 PM »
Being the nice fall day it was here in Colorado, the best thing I could think to do was to smoke some meat.  :P A fattie was on the menu. I used Swiss Chard greens from the garden that are going to get frosted on Monday, Italian Sausage, Bacon, Cajun spice, Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, and Provolone Cheese. Did the bacon weave and added the sausage that I had rolled out between waxed paper to fit. Rolled it up, and let it rest in the refrigerator for about 3 hours to let the flavors get happy.

I smoked the fattie for about 3.5 hours at 225 with 3 oz of Mesquite chips and apple juice to keep things moist. Crisped the bacon on the grill, and had a fine meal. The fattie was juicy and was a nice flavor mix of Louisiana Redneck and Italian.

Pictures below!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Smoked a Fattie This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 12:54:44 AM »
Looks great!

I have been meaning to make a fatty some time too. They look interesting.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »
Well done, Bob!   The weave looks great, and the finished product looks perfect.   I'll bet it was some good eats!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 01:15:08 PM »
Looks great, Bob!  Definitely an appropriate recipe in Colorado! ;) ;D ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
We didn't make total pigs of ourselves so there are leftovers. I will now have to figure out how to warm them up. With the cheese in there it may be a hot mess. I may slice and fry it with the hops that the cheese stays put. The interesting thing about fatties is that you can change up the favors pretty dramatically. Pizza fattie anyone?

I did notice that the smoke flavor was a bit higher than I wanted so next time maybe I will try 2 oz of wood. Or maybe it was the mesquite since that is a stronger wood. When I pulled the wood box out I noticed that the wood was charcoal rather than ash even though I used a chip screen. Is that normal for a 3 hr smoke?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN