Author Topic: Contemplating a New Slicer  (Read 7628 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Contemplating a New Slicer
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 11:52:54 AM »
Yeah, I got the 665 making me the odd fellow here.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BonaireBBQ

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2019, 06:57:51 PM »
Hi David

What is the widest slab of bacon you can slice on the C C 665?
Walt in Bonaire

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »
Walt - I have not sliced any bacon on it.  Not yet anyway.  I used this chart to help in my decision.  You can see the size of the carriage as well as the distance from back of carriage to leading edge of the blade.  I do slicing only a few times per year and then not in any massive quantities, maybe 30 minutes each time I need to slice so this slicer is just right for me. I certainly would not use it for hours on end.  The blade has a cover plate that remains stationary while the blade moves.  I believe this may cut down on blade drag as meat is being sliced.  Others may find it under powered for their use or may desire a belt driven system rather than gears.  I hope the chart helps. Dave
https://chefschoice.com/wp-content/uploads/QRGSlicers0518.pdf
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:21:56 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2019, 01:26:02 PM »
Walt - I have not sliced any bacon on it.  Not yet anyway.  I used this chart to help in my decision.  You can see the size of the carriage as well as the distance from back of carriage to leading edge of the blade.  I do slicing only a few times per year and then not in any massive quantities, maybe 30 minutes each time I need to slice so this slicer is just right for me. I certainly would not use it for hours on end.  The blade has a cover plate that remains stationary while the blade moves.  I believe this may cut down on blade drag as meat is being sliced.  Others may find it under powered for their use or may desire a belt driven system rather than gears.  I hope the chart helps. Dave
https://chefschoice.com/wp-content/uploads/QRGSlicers0518.pdf

Dang, I wish that I would have looked at the 665 before buying the 615A. I definitely like the specs better as it is a bit larger and I do like that blade cover.

I am really tempted to return mine (I haven't used it yet) and exchange for the 665. But, dang I got such a good deal on the 615A that I am not sure it is worth it to switch or not.

<Thinking Hard on This>
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
I am really tempted to return mine (I haven't used it yet) and exchange for the 665. But, dang I got such a good deal on the 615A that I am not sure it is worth it to switch or not.

After my latest use of my new 615A, I'm rather disappointed and would encourage an upgrade if that is still an option for you.  When I sliced the bacon I had no problem at all.  Last Saturday I decided to smoke some cheese.  I used the slicer to slice into all four sides of 4 blocks of cheese on its deepest setting so that it would be easy to use a knife to finish the cut and have uniform chunk sizes for smoking.

The 615A couldn't slice very deep into the cheese block because it would very quickly hit the blade housing.  It would also every so slightly bog down the slicer when I was cutting the wider size of the block.  And then it actually blew the fuse on the slicer on one of the cuts.  It was pretty disappointing.  I don't dislike the slicer entirely, but it seems a little weak on the power side and I'm not encouraged by the idea that I'm going to have to buy and keep a bunch of fuses on-hand for any time it even minimally bogs down.  I really wasn't working it hard so it seems like it should have handled it better than it did.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2019, 08:08:29 PM »
I've not done any cheese yet but wonder how your machine did if slicing it thin, like for sandwiches rather than in large thick blocks.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus