Author Topic: Contemplating a New Slicer  (Read 7596 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Contemplating a New Slicer
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 06:23:56 PM »
Some folks on another site cleaned up on the same slicer the last time Woot sent out the offer.  They all seemed mighty happy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 06:40:57 PM »
I have some bacon already ready to be sliced in the fridge right now. :) So, I am ready to rock and roll when I get it.

I love Amazon Prime. I ordered yesterday (Wednesday) and it should be here tomorrow (Friday).
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »
Enjoy Gregg!  Are you going to get the non-serrated blade as well?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 08:46:41 PM »
Hi Dave,

I didn't yet. I have it in my Wish List, but was going to ask you and the group here about that.

It seems that the consensus from the reviews is that the non-serrated is best for meat and that the serrated is better for breads and cheeses. But, there are some reviews that say the opposite.

Did you buy the non-serrated blade? Did you try at all with the serrated blade, and if so how did it do?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »
Gregg - I bought the Chef's Choice 665 to get the larger blade and blade cover but there is no smooth non-serrated blade for it.  I am hoping the company see's the error of their ways. I have to leave the pros and cons of a smooth blade to those who have and use one. So far though, the serrated blade has done a really nice job. Next time I break out the slicer for meat, I am going to see how it does on a ripe tomato (just for fun).
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Jimeo

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 07:31:24 AM »
I received the 615A for Christmas and have only used it once, on bacon.  The serrated blade did a great job on a variety of slice thicknesses.
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 10:05:54 AM »
I received the 615A for Christmas and have only used it once, on bacon.  The serrated blade did a great job on a variety of slice thicknesses.

Thanks for that feedback Jim! I have two slabs of bacon to slice up and am going to try the first one out tonight with the serrated blade and see how it works. If it is not terrible, my urgency for getting the non-serrated version may be lowered (even though I will probably eventually get it).
Gregg - Fargo, ND

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 10:43:58 AM »
I have two slabs of bacon to slice up and am going to try the first one out tonight with the serrated blade and see how it works. If it is not terrible, my urgency for getting the non-serrated version may be lowered (even though I will probably eventually get it).

I also just got and used the 615A for bacon and found it worked really well.  Once in a while some fat would get pulled down on the under side and get caught up.  I could either trim that off manually or flip the chunk over so it could take it off with the next slice.

I sliced up 10 lbs in very little time with nice, consistent slices, little effort, and pretty easy cleanup.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 12:16:54 PM »
Gregg - I bought the Chef's Choice 665 to get the larger blade and blade cover but there is no smooth non-serrated blade for it.  I am hoping the company see's the error of their ways. I have to leave the pros and cons of a smooth blade to those who have and use one. So far though, the serrated blade has done a really nice job. Next time I break out the slicer for meat, I am going to see how it does on a ripe tomato (just for fun).

Hi Dave, there is a non-serrated blade for the 615:

https://smile.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-S610001-Non-Serrated-Models-Slicers/dp/B000X1EOTO/ref=pd_yo_rr_fbt_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000X1EOTO&pd_rd_r=af9be7bc-6072-459f-8162-382e85cf3150&pd_rd_w=IY2Qf&pd_rd_wg=Hs0hj&pf_rd_p=c538bb1d-95ba-42e3-b868-1a5ee52b6e95&pf_rd_r=5EGB6RP5A0NDXQ4F6T86&psc=1&refRID=5EGB6RP5A0NDXQ4F6T86
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Jimeo

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 12:46:17 PM »
I had the same issue with a small fat tail forming once in a while.  I thought the clean up was relatively easy, curious if you removed the blade Larry?  I did and there sure was a ton of grease/lubricant in there!
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 12:49:38 PM »
I have had this issue with my old el-cheapo slicer and like you said, just flipping it over takes the tail off in the next slice or two.

I don't think that this issue is as bad if you have a lot firmer meat or partially frozen. If the edge is too soft this can happen from my experience.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 01:53:24 PM »
I had the same issue with a small fat tail forming once in a while.  I thought the clean up was relatively easy, curious if you removed the blade Larry?  I did and there sure was a ton of grease/lubricant in there!

I did remove the blade and yes, there was an impressive amount of lube...  I just cleaned around it so as to not dirty or remove it.  I think I'll continue to remove the blade as it makes it much easier to clean more thoroughly and safely.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

prudentsmoker

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 04:31:59 PM »
I will defer to the much more knowledgeable on our site. Having said that- I bought the Nesco slicer on Amazon for $85. I use it primarily for chicken jerky for our dogs. The Chinese jerky is reported to kill small dogs. I also make beef, but still use my dehydrator. It has been my experience that 45 minutes in the freezer makes both the beef and chicken slice pretty well.
I will say I am satisfied with it. It is easy to clean which is important to me. However, some pieces I cut in half to get them to fit.
Brian from Wichita

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 07:24:01 PM »

https://smile.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-S610001-Non-Serrated-Models-Slicers/dp/B000X1EOTO/ref=pd_yo_rr_fbt_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000X1EOTO&pd_rd_r=af9be7bc-6072-459f-8162-382e85cf3150&pd_rd_w=IY2Qf&pd_rd_wg=Hs0hj&pf_rd_p=c538bb1d-95ba-42e3-b868-1a5ee52b6e95&pf_rd_r=5EGB6RP5A0NDXQ4F6T86&psc=1&refRID=5EGB6RP5A0NDXQ4F6T86

Gregg, I know.  But not for the 665 which has the 8 1/2 inch blade.

I will be ordering some food grade grease from Amazon to use on the gears just in case the vaseline wears off too quickly.  I also want to look into getting to the worm gear inside to motor housing and keep it greased even though CC says nothing inside is user serviceable.  Should be simple enough to pop off the bottom plate for a look see maybe twice a year.

The tail happened with my Rival and same again to a lesser extent with the CC.  The pups love that stuff!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:07:29 AM by NDKoze »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 10:05:36 AM »

Gregg, I know.  But not for the 665 which has the 8 1/2 inch blade.

I will be ordering some food grade grease from Amazon to use on the gears just in case the vaseline wears off too quickly.  I also want to look into getting to the worm gear inside to motor housing and keep it greased even though CC says nothing inside is user serviceable.  Should be simple enough to pop off the bottom plate for a look see maybe twice a year.

The tail happened with my Rival and same again to a lesser extent with the CC.  The pups love that stuff!

Awe, I didn't realize that you got the 665. I was thinking that you had the 615A too. My bad. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:07:11 AM by NDKoze »
Gregg - Fargo, ND