Author Topic: Air Venturi adapter for cold smoking idea  (Read 2182 times)

Lonzinomaker

Air Venturi adapter for cold smoking idea
« on: September 07, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
My jerky drier moves too much air through the smoker for cold smoking, have to turn on the heat for wood to burn in the tray, reasons I'm not doing much cold smoking and hanging onto the MES30. So I've been looking for a way to get smoke going internally without modifying the smoker and without resorting to an external smoke generator (IE-Smoke Daddy).
I thought about how to make a venturi adapter to fit on top of the box, lots of work but doable. But while I was replacing the plumbing under my sink because I took out the garbage disposal, the light bulb went on when I replaced the dishwasher diverter/adapter.  The adapter has a shield in it to direct water from the dishwasher downward keeping it from going up into the sink.  I looked at that and thought VENTURI!!!
Bought a 7/8in inlet x 1 1/2 in pipe adapter added a couple of other fittings I had on hand, along with a 12v 40mm fan, put them all together and it works.
Minimal modification required, just had to drill a 1" hole for the fan in the plug adapter and a couple of holes for the screws. I had a 12v power supply for the fan.  The fan is rated at 4.5 CFM, seems to pull enough air through to keep my tube lit on the short test run today.
Smoke output seems about equal to what I get when using heat so I think the venturi effect is working well. Now I have to do a long run test with the tube and monitor the temps, and length of tube burn to make sure this is a good option for cold smoking.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:57:07 PM by Lonzinomaker »
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

sweetride95

Re: Air Venturi adapter for cold smoking idea
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 07:21:59 AM »
Very interesting! I may have to try something like this.
I have used an old RC car cooling stand and lipo battery to add some draft to my #2.
I have gone 6 hrs with an AMZIN tray thing and hickory dust.
I can vary the effect by moving the stand around the exhaust hole or shimming it up on one side.
I haven't cold smoked over the winter yet, but at 80deg + outside temps it still took ice to stay under 100F in the cabinet.
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

prudentsmoker

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 10:53:37 AM »
Looks great. Please keep up posted.
Brian from Wichita

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 01:40:13 PM »
As long as it makes you happy but I don't understand the need for it. I use the Jerky drier for Jerky and never considered using it for cold smoke.

Clod smoking I prefer chips or pencil size slivers of wood. Add your wood and items to be smoked to a cold smoker. Leave the door open and crank the heat to 250, when you see smoke coming out of the firebox, cut the heat to 100 and close the door. You will continue to have smoke and the temp stays low. Ambient air temp and direct sunlight can increase the internal box temp so be aware of that. I do not use a cold plate or ice and get good results.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »
I like smoked cheese. Most cheese melts when it gets close to 100 deg and I like to keep it closer to 65-70 deg.
My MES 30 with mailbox mod only gets about 10 deg above ambient with no cold plate or ice or anything, great for cold smoking. That's why I keep thinking up ways to get smoke without doing any SI box modifications.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 04:22:19 PM by Lonzinomaker »
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 05:11:54 PM »
The last cheese I melted was in a Bradley. there are many was to smoke food, I tend to stick with the basics.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

iamimdoc

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
I was considering something similar, perhaps with metal to be used for hearted smoking (ie, 225 degrees)

But pvc is cheaper and easier to work with.  Does anyone think the pvc could tolerate the temperatures of heated smoke?