Author Topic: Brisket, Pork Butt and Beans  (Read 1209 times)

LuvMyQ

Brisket, Pork Butt and Beans
« on: July 07, 2019, 10:10:09 PM »
So we had a neighbor get together with 20+ adults.  And I was on tap for the smoking.  This was an ambitious smoke.  But I have had enough experience with the SI that I let it would not let me down.

We had a standard Costco pork butt 8-ish pounds.  I made a batch of beans following the Pioneer Woman recipe that someone posted on here – and she attributes to Pam Anderson.  I added about a Tbls of Ancho Chili Powder and 3 or 4 more Tbls of brown sugar.  For the brisket – well since Costco did not have any for the last 5 days – I asked my wife to pick one up from Kroger.  I knew it would be Choice, not Prime, but oh well.  She is not educated in brisket shopping.  I told her they would probably only have the flat, and would probably around 6 or 7 pounds.  They did not have any, so she asked.  The butcher said I can cut one for you.  He comes out with an 8.5 pound hunk of meat.  I am not sure I have seen flats that big.   And after slicing it, I think he got into the point.  But it was trimmed to perfection with a ¼ inch fat cap.

In my own genius way of planning, I thought I had the perfect plan.  The butt goes up high, with the brisket right below to be continually basted by the butt.  Then the beans go  on the bottom to get some of those dripping.  Well the brisket was too thick to fit in one rack space – barely.  So the butt rack had to sit on top of the shelf track, not within the track.  I was also not crazy that I had to set the beans just above the firebox, but I maxed out the vertical space. 

Smoker went on at 6:30 AM at 200 for 1.75 hr and then bumped to 275.  My idea was to pull the beans at that point so as not to collect too much drippings.   But they were not ready.  Got busy and checked them again.  And at 10:30, I went to pull them.  The pan was nearly full of bubbly liquid.  Oh, oh.  There was not a drop in the drip pan below, even though the beans were pushed all the way over to one side.  Maybe my plan was not so genius.  To remove the beans I had to drain them by tilting and let the drip pan do its thing.  Got them out, and spooned all the excel liquid out (about 1 1/2 cups!) and put them under a 300 degree broiler in the oven to caramelize them.  Oh, I added some cornstarch to thicken the liquid.

After 6 hours I rotated the brisket to the top.  Miraculously, the brisket and butt were ready to pull at 3:30 (9 hours total).  And would have been earlier if not for the 2 long open door times.  Per Greg’s post,
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=5870.0
I tossed the brisket in au jus that I made myself and had it and the pork “resting’ in a 170 degree oven.

RESULTS

Pork butt was as great as usual.

The brisket was "slap your momma down" awesome.  It really was a fine piece of meat, but I’m sure the pork dripping basting had a role, along with the au jus during the rest.  I honestly I am blown away that this flat was as good or better than the Costco primes I have cooked.  Those familiar with my cooks said it was the best ever. 

And the beans,  Oh yes the beans.  They were from another planet.  I have never had any remotely this good.  But that rub flavored pork and brisket drippings gave them a totally new dimension.

Oh, and the liquid I spooned out of the beans?  I saved it.  You bet I did.  That is going in the freezer for another time. 

There is a lot of joy in cooking for so many and not having stress about getting it right.  The SI and this forum has never let me down.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:14:03 PM by LuvMyQ »
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

barelfly

Re: Brisket, Pork Butt and Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 10:57:28 PM »
Outstanding! Congrats on the success.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Brisket, Pork Butt and Beans
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »
That is a good looking spread Terry. Well done!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus