Author Topic: "Big Red" is HERE!!  (Read 23807 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
"Big Red" is HERE!!
« on: April 29, 2018, 05:20:51 PM »
The "Top Secret" Project Big Red is finally out!  No "leaking" here!  It's available for EVERYONE!

So, what the heck is it??

Big Red is a WiFi-equipped, super easy to use and read, PID controller for the D-model smokers!!  Holy Cow, is it a WINNER in my book! 

The app that controls it is on the Apple store and Google Play, and has been for about a month.  I'm amazed that no one has seen it and let the cat out of the bag!  To those of you that may have seen it, and didn't say anything, Thank You!!

The new controller will be available on all D-models, and I believe Steve will sell you one as a retro-fit.  It is very easy to install...just unscrew the existing controller, and the wires attach in exactly the same way as the old controller.  Took a Phillips head screwdriver and a small straight screw driver for two set screws.  The unit also comes with 2 meat probes that have the K-connectors - very cool!  Only the first probe triggers the PID program, and the second is just for monitoring another piece of meat.

Once it was on, I fired it up and saw the blue light (upper left) was flashing fast.  This is the sync mode.  I entered my WiFi password on the app, and it synced right up!  Once the unit is synced, you can see the functionality of the app.  Let me tell you, folks, if you've had trouble understanding the PID controller, and have WiFi available, this IS the ticket!  The app is very intuitive, and not only shows the current temps and all cook settings in a very easy to understand format, it also graphs the cook!  I'm not sure if the graph is downloadable or not, but I believe it is...more on that later.

I didn't have time to cook with it today, due to work commitments, but did get to enter a program and let it run.  It worked great!  When the unit first switches on, the temp is set to 60, which is good because it isn't going to let the element get hot while you are setting things.  Once you set a program, though, it will revert to that program if power is cycled on the smoker. 

Today, I'm just introducing Big Red with a brief post.  I will be going into more details as I learn them, and put it through its paces with a live cook. 

Bottom line, so far??  Winner Winner, chicken dinner!!!  Steve and the Auber team hit one out of the park with this rascal!!  They should be on the website shortly!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:23:21 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: "Big Red" is HERE!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 05:27:25 PM »
Sweet! I may have to upgrade.  Maybe for the wi-fi, definitely for the dual probes.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:28:58 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 06:56:14 PM »
I will tell you, Dave, I believe it's worth an upgrade!  This is the most significant development with SI since we first attempted a digital controller in Jan 2014!  I know we have folks here that remember that - it was pretty much a disaster!  I've attached a couple of old pics to show that first controller.  When we made the decision to integrate the Auber PID into the controller, history was made in the smoker world!  But, it was geeky and clunky.  The PID controls took some getting used to, and although not really difficult, they could be intimidating.  THIS version of the controller has those great Auber PID performance features, but is finally packaged in a very easy to understand format!  It still has all the power of 6 programmable steps, triggered by time or meat temp, but is now so much easier to understand.

I will definitely be upgrading the controller on my #2 with Big Red!!!  I really love the ease of use, and being able to monitor/adjust the smoker remotely!!  Can it get MORE "Lazy Q" than THAT???  I don't think so!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 08:13:12 PM »
I remember those days well Tony.  You and Steve put in a lot of hard work and it paid off. And this new controller sets a very high standard.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SmokinItInfo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 12:21:40 PM »
Just want to let everyone know that we will be posting a link for the new phone apps that are used for the new WIFI PID controllers.  The links can be found listed on the "For the Customer tab"  We hope to have a manual made up in the couple weeks.  Until that time instructions can be downloaded for the Auber Instruments website for Auber model #1500HW.  Here are the costs for the new WIFI models, includes two meat probes and new larger LCD display.  We have also upgraded the digital box overlay with UV protected material.

model # 2DWIFI       $824.99
model # 3DWIFI     $1024.99
model # 3.5DWIFI  $1524.99
model # 4DWIFI     $ 2014.99
model # 5DWIFI     $ 2724.99
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:25:39 PM by SmokinItInfo »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
Considering the robust build quality of the smoker itself and now integrating a Wi-Fi dual probe PID controller, pricing seems very reasonable. I am looking forward to upgrading.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
The price increase seems really modest, considering the extensiveness of the upgrade...a totally redesigned controller!
Tony from NW Arkansas

LuvMyQ

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »
New forum member here.

I don't know whether to be excited or bummed.  I currently use a Weber Bullet, and want the convenience of the electric smoker.  I have been looking hard at a 3D and building myself up to the $899 price.  And WiFi is what I have really been waiting for.  I looked at the CharBroil unit last summer - reviews were not good.  But going to $1025 for the 3DWIFI goes over my psychological price point.  May have to give the 2D another look.  It has more cooking surface than the Weber.  I just have to weigh my needs vs desires.  :)

But the big question:  Are the WIFI models available now?  I do not see them on the site yet.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 08:46:52 PM »
Hi Luv!  Welcome to the party!  Now that you're here, how about adding a first name & town to your signature line?  We're pretty familiar, around here, and like to know who we're having new conversations with!

Compared to what you are used to, you will be thrilld with the performance of the SI.  As far as the difference in the models, I would definitely recommend the 3D, or even the 3.5D (if you want the extra height).  The 3.5D will let you do those 2 butts and a big packer brisket at the same time with room to spare.  Save a little more, and go with the largest model within your real budget, not just a psychological budget.  Not trying to belittle what you said about that, it simply means that you don't see the extra $125 in value....fair enough.  My recommendation is hang around here as much as needed before deciding.  You will get tons of honest feedback from lots of real users, not advertising.  The members that will advise you have the bona fides, found in the form of thousands of posts, recipes, pictures, lessons-learned, etc., right here in this forum!

Having started with SI with an analog controlled Model 1, I have seen, and been involved in, the evolution up to where we are now.  I can say, with a matter of fact, that the changes to date have been very successful!  We have learned, and kept developing all the way.  The new WiFi controller is really "all that!"  Having used the old standalone Auber PID units, and model 2D and 3D, this change is worth far more than $125 extra.  I believe Steve may be actually underpricing the new controller!  It's that impressive.

So, hit us with as many questions as you want, we're here to help!
Tony from NW Arkansas

LuvMyQ

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »
Thanks for the input Tony.  I updated my signature.   ;)

A little more on my journey.  I have been a charcoal griller for over 30 years and moved smoking with the WSM about 10 years ago.  About 3 years ago, I actually purchased the big Traeger pellet grill ($1000) during an in store Costco promo.   A whole chicken and a pork butt later, I returned it.  Flavor and bark not even close to he WSM.  And it turned me off of electrics.

But now convenience is key.  I only fire up the WSM about twice a summer because of the time commitment.  And forget winter time use.  And based on your comments, it sounds like I need the 3D.  I think that extra depth would be helpful for the packers and full racks.  And the budget # is purely psychological.  I can certainly swing the extra.  But I probably don't need the 3.5, as the larger quantity smoke is more like a once a year thing.

Now it is just a matter of availability.  Awaiting a response to an email I sent to SI this morning.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 11:08:01 AM »
Welcome to the forum Terry. Steve is on the road this week so there might be a delay in a response.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 08:01:49 AM »
He should have the new models on the website by Wednesday 5/9.
Tony from NW Arkansas

mocass

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »
Any news on Big Red??? haven't seen anything else or the addition to the site.. tks.
Maury
P,cola Fl.
Virgin Islands Massive!!
US Army Sgt. 1984-92
CS SM025 Black n Stainless/SI 3D Wifi/ InsatpotDuo/Elite Stainless Grill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »
Be patient.  One cannot rush a good thing!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 05:21:45 PM »
I have been trying to do an "actual" smoke with it, but outside influences have not been cooperative!  Grrr!!  I have, however, run it through some programming and setup, and I am absolutely confident that will perform just as well in an actual smoke.  Not sure why it's not on the website yet.  I bet Steve is waiting to get through Mother's Day to release it.
Tony from NW Arkansas