Author Topic: First Brisket in my 3d tomorrow, want to confirm settings  (Read 2540 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
First Brisket in my 3d tomorrow, want to confirm settings
« on: May 27, 2016, 05:18:31 PM »
I am still getting used to the Auber, seems like it could be a bit more friendly.

Anyways, here are my settings, please let me know if I am off on these.

C1 275 (Smoker set to 275 degrees)
E1 F
F1 195 (smoke until 195 degrees)
C2 150 (smoker will maintain temp of 150 degrees)
E2 12 (smoke will run for 12 hours.)

Thanks in advance.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First Brisket in my 3d tomorrow, want to confirm settings
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 07:04:43 PM »
Looks OK, Greg.  Surprised you smoke brisket at 275!  That's pretty high.  But, if that wasn't a typo, your programming is correct.  What are you trying to do with the 150 setting on step 2?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 07:07:27 PM »
Tony,

Yep the 275 is correct for the smoke temp. There are several players in Texas that smoke between 250-275, so I want to give it a try.

The 150 temp, is to hold the brisket once it hits 195, in case I am not home.

If I am home, I would wrap and place in my cooler, or I found speaking with some pitmasters in Texas, they hold at 160 for up to a day.

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 07:16:18 PM »
That's what I thought you were thinking with the 150, Greg.  You may want to re-think that, unless you want your brisket well over 200 for a finish.  Dropping the temp for a hold is great, but you have to do one of 2 things:  either lower your target temp to allow for the carry-over cooking, once the 150 is triggered, or remove the brisket, wrap in foil, and place back in the smoker, once it has cooled down below 150.  Btw, I recommend 140 for the hold temp because your goal is not to continue cooking, but to keep it at a food-safe temp, which is 140.

These boxes are so well-insulated, that when your brisket hits 195, and the 150 is triggered, it may be another hour or two until the box actually cools that much!  I use the open-door method, as I'm never not home when something is in the smoker, especially at finishing time!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:29:17 PM »
That's what I thought you were thinking with the 150, Greg.  You may want to re-think that, unless you want your brisket well over 200 for a finish.  Dropping the temp for a hold is great, but you have to do one of 2 things:  either lower your target temp to allow for the carry-over cooking, once the 150 is triggered, or remove the brisket, wrap in foil, and place back in the smoker, once it has cooled down below 150.  Btw, I recommend 140 for the hold temp because your goal is not to continue cooking, but to keep it at a food-safe temp, which is 140.

These boxes are so well-insulated, that when your brisket hits 195, and the 150 is triggered, it may be another hour or two until the box actually cools that much!  I use the open-door method, as I'm never not home when something is in the smoker, especially at finishing time!

Tony,

With the #2 smoker, I would also open the door and wrap and set to 140....

I will be around tomorrow and once it hits 195, I plan to pull wrap and set the smoker to 150.

Is there a way to set another step to keep the brisket at 145 range and hold?

Thanks Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:08:14 PM »
Greg, if you want to hold at 145, just change step C02 to 145 instead of 150.  The program is not locked-in, and can be changed "on the fly," even during the programmed cook.  Did I misunderstand the question?
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 06:38:47 AM »
Greg, if you want to hold at 145, just change step C02 to 145 instead of 150.  The program is not locked-in, and can be changed "on the fly," even during the programmed cook.  Did I misunderstand the question?

Sorry long day, got it :)

Greg