Author Topic: 8lb Butt 15 hours in and at 171  (Read 5531 times)

40 caliber

8lb Butt 15 hours in and at 171
« on: May 21, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »
I did a 7.5lb butt a couple weeks ago in 12 hours. this one is 15.5 hours in and not there yet. extra half lb? last one was in the SI2 which we all know swings. this is in the new 3D at a rock steady 225.  Maybe that is the difference.

1.. DM's pork brine
2. marinated for 15 hours.
3. coated in Byron's butt rub
4. into the smoker last night at 930. ( I love to sleep through my wait.)

this but had a flap. it was sorta like a clamshell. I put the probe back in the meat where it was one solid piece to ensure it wasn't a bad reading. that being said, not sure what this does to the "flaps" . I guess it won't be long now..... pictures will tell the story.

Tom 
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: 8lb Butt 15 hours in and at 171
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »
Sounds like a boneless butt. You will still like the results and it is in line with what to expect. Butts have their own schedule and the 1.5 - 2 hours per pound is a guide. Not exact.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

40 caliber

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 05:39:38 PM »
well I think it is important to share my successes as well as my not so successes. IF we only share our wins people can't win from our ties. (just to  be fair, this was good and not a loss). Don't get me wrong , the butt was good but no way did it compare to my first pork butt.

1. this was in my 3D, the last was in my 2. just  goes to show you technology is only one piece of the puzzle.
2. I waited until 189 at 18 hours. I think the cut of this  meat also impacted time. the last was one large piece, this had a flap that really changed structure of the meat when it came to cooking. Although an 8lb piece of meat, it acted more like a 5lb but with a 3lb extension. when picking out butts, try to get solid full butts.. (who doesn't like a butt to that description?  ;))

3. DM's brine is a winner. I really like it. I used Bad Byron's butt rub which gets good reviews here. frankly , it was too salty with the brine. I prefer killer hogs as it is made with brown sugar. it adds a sweet to the salty brine. Byrons added salt and a hot kick to the salty brine.  Each to his own but  I learned from it for me anyway.

4. I forgot the DANG WATERPAN!!  the overall but was moist butt the bark was way too tough. I couldn't stop picking at the last bark, it was just right. this one was a little tough and double salty as already stated.

5. lastly, I am not sure about the instacure.. I didn't use it on the last butt and I used it on my pork loin and this butt. the color it puts on the meat throws me. I keep thinking I have pink pork and it's not done. if you look to the pork that is shredded. you will see what i am talking about .I know it's cooked  as the meat deeper in is white with the outside pink. Meat cooks the opposite. I get the Faux smoke  ring thing  but this just throws me off. FOR ME, I don't think I need it in the future.

anyway. the good? the meat was tender , moist and tasty... would I make it this way in the future no? could someone feed it to me if I were over there house? yes absolutely!

I  think if you like salty tastes (or slightly salty), this rub is for you. If you would like a sweeter butt, go killer hogs or something with a brown sugar

My sons liked it. I enjoyed cooking it, so all in all a win! that is why try it!
Tom
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 05:44:08 PM by 40 caliber »
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

drains

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 06:20:30 PM »
That looks mighty fine to me Tom!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

kona77

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 08:08:47 PM »
 Tom;
I just put in my first butt (7.5lb) and only my second smoke with the new 3D. I used DM's brine
and a homemade rub. I am going at 235 and will see how long it takes. Will post an update
in the morning.

Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

40 caliber

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 08:20:17 PM »
Tom;
I just put in my first butt (7.5lb) and only my second smoke with the new 3D. I used DM's brine
and a homemade rub. I am going at 235 and will see how long it takes. Will post an update
in the morning.

good Luck looking forward to it !

Drains, thanks, don't get me wrong, it is Good ! actually my son (my toughest critic) liked it more than the last Butt. as it said, it goes to personal preference... I just made two sandwiches reheated and must say it is good.....

the Bar is so high with this smoker, sometimes great just isn't good enough!!!!

Tom From NH

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 02:47:13 PM »
Tom, the pan of pulled meat looks PERFECT!  If I were in a BBQ restaurant, in the South, and didn't see that little bit of pink, I'd be highly disappointed.  Presentation.... you can tell by the texture that it is cooked.  Just my 2ยข! ;)

I would be interested to know exactly how your butts were labeled, on the packages.  Many stores label butts differently, and there IS a difference in how they smoke.  What you are looking for is a "bone-in Boston butt."  You see "boneless pork shoulder," or "Pork shoulder, Picnic."  The Boston butt is best for pulled pork.  Period; it is the gold standard.  Boneless butts have a mind of their own, and usually take longer to smoke.  The picnic cut is the top of the front leg, just below the Boston butt, and typically has a round bone (more like a ham shank).  A Boston butt, bone-in, has a "flap" on one side.  This is the parting line between the should muscle and the loin meat (or "money muscle," as they call it in the competition circles).  What shape was the bone that came out of the top picture?  Did it look like this?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:53:48 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

40 caliber

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 05:58:56 PM »
DM
that is the rub....I am one hour from Boston and I have yet to see a Boston butt!!! The local grocery  doesn't even have a bone in butt. (one guy in the meat area actually said they don't come that way  :o)   This is a boneless butt and I need to ask for anything bigger than 4lbs and they go in the back room.  I will try a couple butcher shops but the price of ribs were 2X at most shops or ribs (for the same brand rib as the grocery!!) so I had not been back.

We just don't understand Cue up here. it is sad. I will branch out and see what else I can find.

we do have a sams club and Costco. I guess it is time to go down and check It out

Tom
Tom From NH

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 08:04:17 PM »
Ask the people at the grocery store, you might be surprised at their help.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 10:29:40 PM »
Sam's Club is the best place to get Boston Butts that I have found. Costco meat is great, but they only have boneless butts.

If you have a Sam's Club, try that. They come in 2-Packs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Donmac

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 01:29:39 PM »
Tom, I buy my bone in butts at sams club in Manchester but a guy from work buys them at BJ's once in a while and brings them in for me to smoke, The BJ's butts have bone in also and are trimmed very well.

Mr. Steers in Londonderry only has boneless butts so mark them off your list.
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

40 caliber

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 07:01:54 PM »
excellent Don, I will start with BJs in Nashua (or Hudson actually) and go from there!
Tom From NH

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 08:55:50 PM »
That explains a lot, Tom!  Didn't think that pic looked like a bone-in Boston!  Pretty interesting, how that particular shoulder cut ended up being called a "Boston butt;" check it out sometime!  At any rate, nothing better for pulled pork!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 09:47:17 AM »
Tom,
BJ's has very good ribs and bone in butts. Costco have ribs and boneless butts.
If you get daring the BJ's brisket flats are 5# plus and they are food.

You may want to increase the temp on the butt to 235-240.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 07:44:09 PM »
BJ's brisket flats are 5# plus and they are food.

I sure hope so.... ???   

;D ;D Some typos read so funny, they're just too good to pass up! ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas