Author Topic: Smoking fish ??  (Read 5661 times)

Greenenvey

Smoking fish ??
« on: May 13, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »
Alright, im planning on smoking alot of Kokanee salmon this season. For those that arnt familiar with Kokanee they arnt a big fillet in most cases. Anyway I got the #2d and want to know is there anything else I need to buy to make my smoked fish turn out better? I'll be doing this in the summer heat. Thanks!
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Smoking fish ??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
You'll want a frogmat. Can get these on Amazon. Keeps small fish from falling through. You also may want a cold smoke plate (on the SI web site) if you want to keep the temps down while you smoke the fish. You can get a lot of ideas in the fish section of the forum. Good luck! Send pictures!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Greenenvey

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:08:04 AM »
Thanks Bob, I'll differently post pics. I was differently considering the cold plate, bit since I have the pid controller will it keep my temps were I need them without the cold plate? For example I'd like to cook at 120 the 140 then 160 temps.  And am curious if the pid can hold these temps without the plate? Also will it even smoke at these low temps?
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »
The PID can hold the temps, but without a cold smoke plate or an addon smoke generator like an A-MAZE-N Smoker you may have trouble getting much smoke at the low smoke temps. When using a cold smoke plate, it prevents much of the heat from entering the cooking chamber. The element (below the cold smoke plate) has to run hotter to get the area above the cold smoke plate to temp. This allows the extra heat below the cold smoke plate to be high enough to get good smoke generation.

I would definitely use chips verses chunks as they will smoke at lower temperatures. Chunks are my preference for most smokes, but not low temp smokes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:23:38 PM »
+1 to what Greg said.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Greenenvey

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »
Ok thank you I ordered the frog mats and I'll order the cold plate nowq :)
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

prudentsmoker

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:14:35 PM »
I like mine with Slap Ya Mama seasoning.
Brian from Wichita

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 02:29:09 PM »
Hi Laura, another Koke fisherman here.  I brine mine over night in soy sauce, brown sugar, 7-Up and minced garlic.  Will you be smoking fillets or whole bodies?  If fillets, they will get plenty of smoke even on a hot smoke around 200.  They are so thin that they don't require as much as say a king salmon.  I also brush mine with a brown sugar and maple syrup paste towards the end of the smoke for a glaze. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Greenenvey

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 05:00:30 PM »
Hi Dave, thanks  for the info, I'm pretty sure I'll be doing them fillet with skin on...how do they taste are they yummy ;D I can't wait to try it.
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 06:54:09 PM »
They taste like candy.  I also do a 1/2 smoke when I can them.  The freezer can only hold so many Kokes.  We love canning them with just the hint of smoke flavor. 

Greenenvey

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 08:29:46 PM »
Oh man you are making my mouth water. If you have any pics feel free to post them!
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »
In the brine:

1/2 smoked:

Ready for jars:

Product and Koke patty.

Limey

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 09:40:56 PM »
Very impressive!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Greenenvey

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 09:31:01 PM »
Oh yummy thanks for the pics those look awsome
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Master-Hack

• City Worker-Part of the problem, not the solution
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »
As I recall, Kokanee is like a land locked sockeye.  I smoked a lot of sockeye while living in Alaska.  I used the Alton Brown recipe.  Mainly kosher salt with regular and brown sugar.  I didn't brine.  Just packed and pressed them overnight.  Smoked with alder chips at about 200 with a pan of water in the smoker to no more than 145 internal temp.  You have to watch it close as they are fairly thin.  Make sure you air dry them well between the brine or rub prior to smoking or they won't get that film.  We would do about 5-10 pounds at a time and vacuum pack them in sizes appropriate for Sunday football games.  I'm jealous.  Since moving back south, I don't have a source of free sockeye's anymore.
Lee from Boise
Weber Genesis - Sold in garage sale
Weber Smokey Mountain - loaned out & never returned
2 Weber Simpsons 10th Anniversary - still boxed
Louisiana Grills Little Louie - go to grill
Weber 22.5 Charcoal - wife's go to grill
Masterbuilt 30 - converted to dehydrator
SI 2 - getting started