Author Topic: 3D heat sensor questions  (Read 6276 times)

kz0m

• Carl
Re: 3D heat sensor questions
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 09:48:54 PM »
I noticed the temp all over the place when cooking 2 butts a while back.  One of the butts was about an inch from the probe in my 3D.  The cold meat made the temp do crazy things. Finally moved the meat about 2" away from the probe and temp leveled out and worked great. Still learning here ;-)
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »
When I first got my #3 I smoked one to 203 and it was still moist, but actually turned kind of mushy which not really noticed by my guests, but I did.

I haven't pulled at 185 yet, but regularly pull at 190 with great results. If Tony says 185 is good too, his word is gold. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 07:27:55 PM »
I usually aim for anywhere in between 185-190, but the feel tells me when to take it out.  I feel how easy the probe moves around, and wiggle the bone a bit to see if I think it will come out clean.  An "exact" internal temperature is NOT critical, so nobody needs to get hung up on a specific number.  Lots of leeway in a Boston butt!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

parkgt

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 01:51:26 PM »
Hey Jack, that's one of the reasons I went from mounting the permanent probe 1" from the top of the smoker.  All future production models will be there, vs the current (first run) location.  This was actually a disconnect with the factory, and is now resolved.  It's not really a hard job, if you want to relocate your probe. 

DM,

After waiting months for the revised units to become available I found out that the probe location has not yet been changed up and Steve indicates that he doesn't know if or when it will ever be.  How big a hassle is it to move the probe to the better/preferred location and what tools are needed.

Thanks,
Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »
Hmm... Something must have changed, at the factory, Greg.  What I posted was info I got from Steve, so I guess a delay has developed.

Moving the probe is not difficult, and only requires a Phillips screwdriver and a 5/16" drill.  Follow these instructions, and you won't have any problem.  I moved mine, as I just couldn't deal with that probe in the way!  I also recommend getting a 1" nylon spacer, with a 5/16" inside diameter hole.  This  was not installed from the factory, but is how I mount these probes.  It takes up the extra inch of threads on the nylon base of the probe, so less extends into the cabinet.  These probes were designed for a thicker wall smoker.  You can get them at any hardware store in the screw section.

How to Install a Permanent Probe
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

parkgt

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 12:17:36 AM »
DM,

Thanks for the info.  I missed a couple of sales so I guess I will just wait for the next one.