Author Topic: Christmas menu?  (Read 5919 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Christmas menu?
« on: December 21, 2017, 12:40:22 PM »
All of you have your Christmas menu set? We typically do a prime rib but too many folks this year. Ham and brisket for the protein part of the meal this year.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Christmas menu?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:11:39 PM »
If I can find a packer that I like I'll probably do brisket...  my nearest Sam's was really disappointing when I went there recently.  It seems like they are pulling a fast-one with they way they are cutting/trimming their briskets.  There is way more fat cap than in the past with the flat containing so little meat that one might as well cut it off and throw it away.  I'm not sure the meat was even 1/2" thick on the flat.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

stout

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 01:40:25 PM »
smoking 3 ducks..2 for us one for a gift
my wife is in charge of the rest

for Christmas breakfast we always have the same thing though
steaks and cakes
ham steaks and egg nog pancakes
i think this year mywife wants to try making the pancakes with cake batter rather than normal cake mix cause of something the judges loved on a cooking challenge show she likes to watch on the food channel

JustChillin

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 01:43:29 PM »
Twice smoked ham for Christmas brunch then a standing rib roast for dinner.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 01:50:55 PM »
Twice smoked ham for Christmas brunch then a standing rib roast for dinner.
Lol! Better plan some exercise in between. 

JustChillin

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 03:35:26 PM »
No joke ;D We are having our son-in-laws parents over for a mid morning brunch. Then going to an extended family gathering for an evening dinner. Maybe we should go for a long hike in between.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

stout

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »
No joke ;D We are having our son-in-laws parents over for a mid morning brunch. Then going to an extended family gathering for an evening dinner. Maybe we should go for a long hike in between.

no

i think in between you should have lunch

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 06:00:50 PM »

no

i think in between you should have lunch
Personally, I try to sandwich dessert in the middle of big food days so I don’t get cheated.

TX Gent

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »
Wife is pure Irish from the ol'sod and either a hanging goose or a turkey on Christmas Day is her tradition.

Since geese are kind of rare around the Texas supermarket scene she always insist on an over cooked oven baked turkey and of course I let her have her way. She "lets" me do Thanksgiving my way (No Thanksgiving in Ireland) which means we have turkey twice in one month although mine is smoked the Smokin-It way ...LOL

This Sunday I plan to sneak a smoked 12lb Prime Brisket in to have on hand to share with family and friends the day before ol' Nick hits the chute.

Happy Holidays Y'all!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

barelfly

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 11:12:39 PM »
Christmas Day I have planned a smoked rib roast with scallop potatoes, roasted Brussel sprouts with bacon and homemade German rolls.

Leading up to the day, my smoker is busy. I smoked some wonderful prime grade tri tip for dinner tonight and I’m putting in a pork butt at 10pm tonight for dinner the next two nights. The other half of the double pork butt will be made up into carne adovada and posole for Christmas Eve with my entire family. It’s one of my favorite dishes, especially since I make it with my Grandmother every year.

Someone mentioned long hikes above....I’ve walked 5 miles the last two days along with 9 miles of mountain biking with my son on Wednesday. I’m hoping I can hold off the pounds this week!!!!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:15:07 PM by barelfly »
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »
Beef Tenderloin , lobster tails , mashed potato's and vegetables......... NY style cheesecake if anyone is still able to move.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

dcbt

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 08:21:07 AM »
Planning on smoking a beef tenderloin.  We're hosting both my family and my in-laws, and in years past when we've gone to my parent's my dad has grilled it, so I'm changing it up just a bit this year.  Keeping the meat but changing the method. 
Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

Meatball

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 10:02:05 PM »
Planning on smoking a beef tenderloin.  We're hosting both my family and my in-laws, and in years past when we've gone to my parent's my dad has grilled it, so I'm changing it up just a bit this year.  Keeping the meat but changing the method.
Smoking the tenderloin is excellent.... I like to do the sear on the grill after the smoke. did this last year with excellent results
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

dcbt

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »
Smoking the tenderloin is excellent.... I like to do the sear on the grill after the smoke. did this last year with excellent results

Yep, that's my plan as well.  If I'm looking for a medium rare finish, what temp should I pull it out of the smoker to then reverse sear?
Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

Meatball

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »

Yep, that's my plan as well.  If I'm looking for a medium rare finish, what temp should I pull it out of the smoker to then reverse sear?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5a/30/f2/5a30f27f6fb6409a68c18c22b1ccbce4.jpg
meat temp /finish chart
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector