Author Topic: Natural Smoked Almonds  (Read 24548 times)

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
Natural Smoked Almonds
« on: March 04, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »
So I wanted to try some naturally smoked almonds (not the store-bought kind with the super-salty powder on them), and I think I've got a good (and fairly simple) recipe going.  The only trick is they require more maintenance while actually smoking than other foods.

I find hickory works well for this, as do most of the fruit woods (apple, cherry, etc.).  Avoid mesquite, as it tends to be too pungent for the almonds, and you can end up tasting only the smoke when you eat them.

Ingredients:

• Two pounds of RAW almonds
• 1-2 cups Kosher salt (varies depending on how much salt you want)
• Warm water (enough to submerge the almonds)
• Metal colander or strainer that will fit inside your smoker
(You can use the seafood grill rack on Smokin-It.com instead, but I find a bowl-shaped container works better.  Those little guys can be jumpy!)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Additional Kosher Salt (if desired)

Dissolve kosher salt in warm water

Add raw almonds to the salt water, seal, and let stand for at least 24 hours at room temperature.

Drain almonds and allow to air dry.  (This can take several hours, as the almonds soak up the water quite a bit.)

Once dried, place the almonds into the metal colander and place inside the smoker.

Smoke at 200° for 1 hour, stirring the nuts every 15 minutes for even exposure.

Remove the almonds from the smoker and place into a large bowl.

Add olive oil (you don't need much, just enough to barely coat the nuts), and sprinkle with additional kosher salt if desired.

Return to the smoker and smoke for an additional 2 hours, making sure to stir the nuts every 15 mins.

Remove from smoker, cool at least 4 hours (almonds will likely be mealy otherwise) and enjoy!
I'm your huckleberry...

viticulture

• Smoked meat and aged wine makes for a good evening
Re: Natural Smoked Almonds
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 11:58:54 AM »
Just purchased 5 lbs of raw almonds the other day in prep for smoking them this weekend. In the meantime (last night) I tried making some in the regular oven. I only did 2 cups but it turned out really well and tastes extremely close to Blue Diamonds smokehouse almonds (I'm a bit of a saltaholic).

2 cups raw alomonds
1.5 tbls olive oil or veggie oil (suppose melted butter would be good too)
2 tsp liquid smoke (I know - it's the devil in a bottle)
2 tsp flour
3 - 4 tsp finely ground salt (mortis and pestle works)

Pre-heat oven to 275*
Pour oil on almonds and toss to mix well.
Spread almonds out on cookie sheet.
Bake at 275* for 40 mins.
Pour almonds into bowl and add liquid smoke tossing to coat well.
Add salt/ flour mixture and toss to coat well.
Spread almonds out on same cookie sheet and bake for an additional 20 mins @ 275*.

Allow to cool and place in an air tight container. They will taste totally different from the time they come out of oven and about a day later - they get much, much better the next day.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »
I have got to try smoking almonds.  Those in the can are very expensive and cut into the beer budget.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 01:00:37 AM »
I have got to try smoking almonds.  Those in the can are very expensive and cut into the beer budget.

Dave I purchased 5# off of ebay at a very reasonable price. The seller name is baysidecandy. But, looks like they have put the prices up on the almonds.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri