Author Topic: Spiced Apple Sausage--How to?  (Read 3115 times)

TexasSMK

Spiced Apple Sausage--How to?
« on: December 20, 2017, 12:12:24 PM »
Smoking this sausage--need a smoke plan.  Help, didn't find anything on the forum for store bought sausage.  Little over 3 pounds, over an inch in diameter. 
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

Durangosmoker

Re: Spiced Apple Sausage--How to?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
I'm not sure, but I would leave it unwrapped on a rack over a pan in the refrigerator overnight to dry the casing a bit, then smoke it at about 200 degrees until it reached an internal temp of 160 degrees F. I would guess only a couple or three ounces of a mild wood for the first smoke, so as not to overpower the apple flavor. Let us know how it turns out
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

TX Gent

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 05:22:54 PM »
I use an indicated 175 on the dial, double probe and smoke to an internal temp of 165. Low and slow seems to give it time to build up case color and smoke infusion without sweating out and takes around 1.5 hours give or take depending. I like either oak or pecan and a touch of fruit wood accents but since your sausage is apple spiced already probably suggest you stick with ....apple

You might want to cool it quickly and some use a water bath, paper towel dry and then air dry if your not eating immediately and packaging for later. This step helps set color and stops the cooking stage. It's not necessary if your serving out of the smoker.

Let us know how it turns out for you and good luck TexasSMK!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:29:19 AM »
Smoking this sausage--need a smoke plan.  Help, didn't find anything on the forum for store bought sausage.  Little over 3 pounds, over an inch in diameter.

TexasSMK ,
Just wondering how you ended up smoking the sausage and how it turned out?
Best Greg

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:04:55 AM »
I'm curious too!  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

TexasSMK

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 03:19:54 PM »
Sorry for the late update.  Smoked with Apple, about 3 ounces at 175 for right at 2 hours--IT 165.  It was great! Friends loved it---will do again--Perhaps pictures then.
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
Sorry for the late update.  Smoked with Apple, about 3 ounces at 175 for right at 2 hours--IT 165.  It was great! Friends loved it---will do again--Perhaps pictures then.
Dale,
Glad that it turned out, I will put this on my list. Right now I am pickling some sausage.
Best Greg

TexasSMK

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 08:23:40 AM »
Dale,
Glad that it turned out, I will put this on my list. Right now I am pickling some sausage.
Best Greg

A Pickle and some meat are two of my favorite things--and you are pickling meat--Stop IT right now Greg!  :D. Would love to hear more about this.  Rs Dale