Author Topic: Greetings from ND  (Read 6755 times)

Namerif

Greetings from ND
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »
My number 2 just arrived can't wait to get started!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Greetings from ND
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:48:18 PM »
Welcome to the club, Namerif!  I think you'll find that the Smokin-It exceeds your expectations.  Be sure to season it following the instructions Steve provides in the box and good luck with your first smoke this weekend (I assume).

If you need any tips or have any questions just give any of us a shout.  Congrats!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:23:52 AM »
Welcome Namerif... you will be glad you bought a Smokin-it product. welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:33:42 AM »
Welcome to the smoking-it family!   I have a #2 as well and love using it just about every weekend.  You will find lots of good recipes and ideas for smoking on this forum, so enjoy!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »
Hi Namerif,

Welcome to the Smokin It club.  You made a great choice with your purchase and you won't be disappointed.  Keep in mind that these units will encourage more visits from family and friends once they try some of that good ole Q that these smokers produce.

Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »
Welcome Namerif!  You've made a good choice in smokers!  Lots of good smokin' times ahead of you!  Let us know how we can help, and throw ideas and suggestions at us!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Namerif

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »
Hey Gus- I am totally new to the smoking business and kind of expected a few more instructions and maybe a basic recipe book to be included so I know where to start?  I got the 4 hour seasoning thing, but where to go from there,  any good ideas on a beginner's cookbook? 

I have been traveling for work since it arrived and have not had a chance to play with it.  I did look at other forums here and noticed the two book reviews were not really for the novice.

Appreciate any help,

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 07:22:55 PM »
Hi Namerif!  Being totally new to the "smoking business" is not a bad thing!  No nasty habits to break, now that you own the best smoker out there! ;)   

First thing....slow down and breathe!  lol.  There's soooo much info out there on our hobby (addiction?) that it can certainly be overwhelming!  I recommend searching the recipes on this forum and find one that suits your taste.  Then, get the supplies, follow the instructions, and dive in!  Simple as that...there's really no better way to learn BBQ than by doing it!  You don't need lots of books to get started - just pick a recipe and go!

I would recommend a pork butt to start (Boston butt cut pork shoulder) for pulled pork.  Very forgiving, and you'll learn a lot about your smoker!  Every time I use mine, I learn something.  But, I now have a pretty good understanding of what to expect.  Just takes lots of smokes and time.

One thing you'll love about your new smoker is the simplicity!  These aren't allowed in BBQ competitions because they would be an unfair advantage!  Prep your meat, load the smoker with wood and a water pan, put the meat in, set the temp and forget about it until close to being done!.  Yes, that simple.  The complications come in when we put them on ourselves with recipes, wood choices, times, etc. 

Check out the recipe section, find one you like, and don't forget to ask us any questions!  Anybody can be a great BBQ chef with a Smokin-It! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Namerif

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
Thanks much divot maker.  It does seem a bit overwhelming.  Just want to make sure I don't screw it up too bad first time around.  Appreciate the recommendations on an easy start point.  Afraid if first few don't go we'll, I may lose the family interest in the smoking experience!

Hope to get something cooked next week.  Too much travel for work the past few weeks.

Have a great Sunday.

Namerif   ;D

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 08:05:48 PM »
You're welcome, Namerif.  If you follow some of the recipes here, you won't lose family interest!  In fact, they'll probably tell you to quit traveling so much so you can make more BBQ! lol.  You won't mess upl just start simple and grow from there!
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »
Hi Namerif...Divot is right, the smokin-it is very easy to use.  I was new to smoking back in January, but I have not had a bad meal yet, and that's smoking practically every weekend.  As Divot said, you will become more comfortable with practice and as you get to know the unit.

For a first smoke, though, I recommend something like chicken wings, thighs or quarters that won't require a lot of time to smoke (a butt could take 12+ hours!).    Wings usually take about 3 hours, while chicken thighs or quarters usually take 3.5 to 4 hours.   For the first journey, you will be enjoying nice smoked food in no time!   Some folks also try babyback ribs that require about 5 hours.    For chicken, I use cherry wood (not too much, though) or hickory for ribs.

As Divot said, check out the recipes section of the forum for nice rubs!  Keep us posted on your success!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »
THIS FORUM IS AWESOME... FIND THE MEAT YOU WANT TO USE AND USE THE "SEARCH" TOOL IN THIS FORUM OR ASK FOR ADVICE IN THE APPROPRIATE SECTIONS, PORK, BEEF, CHICKEN, ETC... THESE GUYS WILL STEER YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK, THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 07:38:37 PM »
Namerif: 

In addition to the great advice on your first smoke, you really can't go wrong with any choice of meat you select.  It really is trial and error and I would recommend to pick a recipe from a previous post and try it out.  At the very least, if you stick to something that is proven, you will produce very similar results.

Since everyone's tastes are different, you will find that you will alter the recipes to you and your family's personal taste.  Make sure you use a binding agent before applying the rub and follow directions without deviating for your first smoke.  With the Smokin It, you can't go wrong.

In terms of the rub, just be sure to think about the ingredients (if you are making it yourself) to ensure that you consider your family needs. I am mentioning this because a few recipes call for cayenne pepper which will add heat. If you have family members who are not as tolerant, then you may want to cut down on the amount you add.  Again, this comes down to personal taste which you will learn as you go.

The last thing I would like to mention is about amount of wood to use with these units. For new members to our addiction, we tend to under estimate this and add too much for our first smoke, which may impact your first smoking experience.  These units really don't need a lot of wood as a little goes a long way. Follow previous posts and the amounts used and don't deviate, if anything put less for your first attempt as having too much can add too much smoke which can be over powering. As an example, if the post you are referring to mentioned that they used 2.5 oz, then go with 2 oz for your first time. And believe me, when you weigh it, 2 oz will not seem like very much and you will be tempted to add more. Don't to it! When starting off, I would rather have too little than too much. I learned this by trial and error.

Good luck and keep us posted.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:01:25 AM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 08:58:33 PM »
Namerif - good advice from Bob, SW and Smokester!  This is just like the Nike commercial....."Just Do It!" ;)   You'll know when you dive into your first smoke!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Namerif

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »
Thanks much for all the great advice.  Finally got back to ND just in time for the early snowstorm, but my daughter asked for pulled pork for her birthday today.

So with a good 6 inches of snow around me and 33 degrees without windchill I embarked on my first smoke.  I decided to use what I had on hand, which was a beef and pork roast.  Using all the great advice, I had purchased the maverick thermometer and it worked great.

Got up at 0500 and put the probe in the pork roast sprinkled all with seasoned salt, onion powder and some pepper.  12 hours later the family was amazed at how well the first smoke turned out.

Going to try some ribs or chicken as recommended above next weekend.  Can't wait!!!!!

Everyone was right it was unbelievably easy to do.  Love the smoker.  Glad I chose smokinit.